I Joined A Gym Today.

After we left Boston, and I had to surrender my Equinox membership, I said I wouldn't join a gym.

"Only Bikram yoga for me, thankyouverymuch!" I proclaimed.  

And I meant it. I was not gonna join a gym.  But you know what? I also said I WASN'T gonna do a lot of things...  Like:
  • Get another search engine marketing job. I held out much longer than The Husband thought I would.  I held out returning to work much longer than a lot of people thought I would.
  • Drink coffee. I just can't stay away from the stuff. Please don't ever ask me to.
  • Eat broccoli. I actually like broccoli now.  But only in its raw state. I can handle it being sauteed. But it has to have a hard crunch to it still.
  • But light-colored living room furniture. Almost immediately when I sat down with the design consultant, my eyes flicked towards the lightest, creamiest fabric swatches.
  • Pull back-to-back Bikram classes. I had done plenty of doubles, just never back-to-back ones. And I figured the B2B ones were for people who were "show-offs."  Or complete masochists.  I actually enjoy the occasional challenge of a B2B class now.
  • Join a gym. I did my two years, with personal training sessions twice a week, at Equinox. I loved every minute of it. But besides being expensive... I found that I ultimately went to the gym LESS when I had a trainer than when I didn't.  I was much more motivated to go when I was relying on myself to get my body worked out.  But when I had a trainer, I would just go my two days a week, and that was it. LAME!
What's changed the game now, though, is the fact that a gym similar to Equinox is right around the corner from our house.  


Seriously... It takes three minutes to walk there. It is in the same building as the Whole Foods I shop at.  It opens at 5:30am and closes at 11pm on weekdays.  It is open from 8am to 8pm on weekends.  They have two different yoga studios in it... And they even have a HOT YOGA studio - though it is not Bikram yoga, and I will not be practicing hot yoga there.

It is just too convenient to not join.  And they gave me a really good deal because The Husband joined it the other day.  I like spinning classes. And I like strength training with weights.

I will NOT, however, be doing personal training sessions again.  They were awesome. But I am not motivated to go to the gym on my own when I am also doing PT.

Mark my words: No PT.

Comments

Too funny, i was just thinking of leaving Equinox for Exhale when the LM starts school. Hmmmm maybe both are needed!
Lindy B said…
I think one of the best things about moving is joining a new gym! I'm glad you changed your mind on it. It can be a good alternative to Bikram when unexpected burn-out happens every so often. Sometimes the new people and new atmosphere alone can motivate me! (Sadly, my Boston gym does not do this for me - it's old and somewhat shabby, but cheap.)

Congrats, Missus!
-LB
Cara said…
Um, thats not a gym that's a spa!! OMG, If I had a gym like that, I would LIVE there!!!!
Vanessa said…
I always say "never say never" because as soon as I do, that very thing comes my way. You are strong and can manifest and do anything once you set your mind to it.

Congratulations on all your accomplishments even if they weren't what you originally planned.

Popular Posts