"Forced Sabbatical" - It Happens To All Of Us At Some Time.

Someone wrote in and asked me if I had any advice or tips for those who find themselves pushed out of their job because of the economy.


Getting laid off can suck. (Like, duh Missus!) I know, because I found myself laid off at 24 while living in New York City. It was about a month after 9/11, and I was working at a small Internet company in Chinatown during the week. On the weekends, I spent my time as an assistant at a bridal business (owned by Martha Stewart) on the Upper East Side. It was a Friday afternoon, and my boss had to lay me off for financial reasons. He offered me two weeks severance, but I was slightly curious as to whether or not the check would go through. So he offered me three weeks severance after I questioned the validity of the check.

Score "one" for me as I was out the door, I guess.

First, I momentarily worried, "What if I never find another job?"

Then I realized that was crazy. And I immediately began running through the steps in my brain of what I needed to do... Like sign up for unemployment. And not panicking.

Long story short, the following Monday I was offered a full-time job at Martha Stewart at the bridal business. But, I had a good plan in place for what I needed to do had I found myself out of work for a few months.

So, here are my tips on what to do if you find yourself laid off from work:
  • DO NOT PANIC. Yes, it's scary not having a steady income. But freaking out and pushing yourself into a deep depression isn't going to put you in the right frame of mind to find a new job - an even better job. So relax, meditate, breathe... All to ward off panic. (I recommend Bikram yoga to help you with this.)
  • Sign up for unemployment. This probably won't cover all your expenses, but it can certainly cover the big one - rent.
  • Cut back on unnecessary expenses. If you don't have savings, charge the rest of your monthly expenses that unemployment won't cover. But really think about what you need... Cell phone (yes). Starbucks (no). You can really creative with cutting back. (Like getting rid of the Internet service and taking your laptop to the library to score free Internet.)
  • Take the first week after your layoff easy. This helps with the whole "not panicking" bit. Rest up. Take walks. Workout. Visit with friends.
  • Don't throw yourself into a new job search right away. I know, this may sound counter-intuitive... But hear me out... If you immediately go into "I gotta find a new job" mode, you could end up going for any and every job that's out there... And end up in one that provides no career fulfillment or satisfaction. You need to take some time to figure out where you want to be next, and whether or not it's realistic. Sure, throw your resume up on the jobs sites. But don't submit your resume for stuff right away. Take a few days to collect your thoughts and figure out what you want.
Two years ago I gave notice at a job from which I was burnt out. Long hours. Having to fight to get what I deserved. Being told I had to now "fall in line and completely agree 100% with the decisions of the business." Yeah... I was over that. I gave two months notice, hoping to take a break at the end of the calendar year. They asked me to just leave that same day. So I found myself out before I had anticipated. Out before the holiday season had even begun.

So what did I do?

I put my resume up on Monster that same day. Then didn't respond to emails or phone calls about it for a few weeks. Instead, I reorganized my apartment. I blogged a whole lot. I did a Bikram yoga challenge. I spent some time at the library. I sat at Starbucks drinking simple cups of coffee and reading. I just refused to give in to human nature and stress myself out.

And believe it or not... The jobs came and found me. If I found myself out of work right now though, I don't think that would necessarily be the case. It's a much different climate than it was two years ago. But I wouldn't stress out. And no, not because I have a husband. I wouldn't stress even if I didn't have The Husband.

See, I am a believer in the Secret idea that you manifest things in your life. Once you begin to stress about how you don't have a job and how things seem so dire, that's the energy you are bringing into your life. Instead, you have to focus on finding happiness. And vision having plenty of money in your bank account.

I truly believe that when you send a message to the Universe that you are okay and are ready to move forward in your life, you will instinctively go to good places for you. (And yes, I know this works from my own experience.) It's hard to set your mind into that positive space, but once you do, things start working.

Anyone else have any tips?

Comments

JessODonnell924 said…
wow! I read this at a perfect time, my fiance just got laid off yesterday. And, after reading your email, I realized I was being a little harsh on him. Thanks for this blog! It put things into perspective for me!
Me said…
I' glad I coud be of help.

Getting laid off is scary... But it shouldn't be... Not to the person it happens to or to any other person associated with that person.

It's going to take time to find another job... But the important thing is to find the right job. Not just jump into a position because it's available and someone is willing to pay you.

Popular Posts