Bikram Yoga Tips For Beginners.

It's funny... Last night, after my Bikram class, I had the thought that it was time to do another post on tips for new people looking to start practicing Bikram yoga. Then, this morning, someone left a comment asking me for them.

It's meant to be, I guess!

Anyway, I know I have posted these tips before... But occasionally I think of new things to add it. So here goes.

Bikram Yoga Tips for Beginners:

1. Arrive early to your first few classes. The first time you go, you will have paper work to fill out. The next few times after, you want to get there about 15 minutes before class starts (at least) to acclimate to the heat in the room. Be careful though, it easy to doze off if you lay down on your back.

2. Where as little clothing as possible, but still be appropriate. A lot of girls tend to wear long yoga pants. I did that for over two years. I should have switched to shorts a lot sooner. I recommend yoga shorts for girls, and a yoga tank top or sports bra. Guys seem to be a little shy in their first few classes and don't want to take off their shirts. Big mistake. A loose t-shirt gets in the way. And to be quite honest, even if you are the hottest guy we've ever seen, chances are, the other people around you probably won't be checking you out during class. You get so focused on your practice that you don't often see the details on another person.

3. Remember to drink water; but only between postures. My sister (Red) and I had a similar experience in our first classes. We both felt so nauseated that we were afraid to drink water. We thought if we did, we would puke. But you NEED to sip water during the class. But SIP it. Don't CHUG it. And remember to drink only between postures, as it is less distracting to other people around you.

4. If you feel like you are going to pass out, sit down on your knees. I've been so tired lately, I have had to sit down during a few poses myself yesterday. We almost had a girl faint in class a few Fridays back. The teacher gave her some coconut water. She was back in action a few minutes later. (Coconut water helps!)

5. Don't talk during class. Seriously, this one annoys me greatly. New people, especially if they come with friends the first time, tend to want to talk. But don't do it. You will get evil stares for breaking the silence of the meditation.

6. Don't leave the classroom. You bet your ass it's hot in there. And you better believe the first class you will want to leave. But don't do it. Not even to pee. Also, don't tell the teacher that's it too hot/cold in the room, and that they need to do something about it. Your job is to just practice. You are not in control. You have to adapt.

7. Accept that even if you have done a different kind of yoga for years, Bikram yoga will still kick your ass the first time. Seriously. I have seen people come to class and be all "Well, I do Baptiste yoga. So this class won't be so hard." Guess what? Yes it will. Bikram rooms are bit hotter than Baptiste rooms. AND you hold the poses for much longer. Bikram is a "hard-core" but "beginner-friendly" yoga. So don't come into class on your high horse. Your fall will be that much greater.

8. Don't eat three hours (at least) before class. Sometimes, I don't eat for for or five hours before class. If you have a heavy meal that you don't digest before class, you will regret it when you bend forward and feel like you're going to puke.

9. REST after final breathing. There are so many people I see (both new and experienced) that hop up after class as soon as the final breathing exercise is done. This is bad. You need to plan for time to rest on your back after class. Getting up too quickly just to get out of the hot room (or catch your train) means you're not taking advantage of all the hard work you just spent 90 minutes doing. Your body needs to rest. For at least two minutes. I prefer five minutes myself.

That's it for now. I may come back and add on to this list. But I hope you found it helpful.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you muchly! This gives me a good idea what to expect and what to do/not do. I'm a bit worried about the heat...does it ever get difficult to breathe in there?
Me said…
LOL! You shouldn't worry about the heat. Just remember to take it easy your first few classes, till you adapt.

But, from what I have seen and heard, the Boston studios are some of the hottest, temperature-wise, in the country. When I was in NYC a few months back, that studio was definitely cooler than Bikram Yoga Boston.

And, I have heard from other BYB people that when they travel to other cities and practice, those studios tend to run a little cooler too.

So, don't worry about the heat. Just take it easy in your first few classes. Don't be so aggressive to progress in the poses. Move slowly into them. Don't rush.
Anonymous said…
I have to disagree about #3, drink water. I found that I started to rely on water as a crutch. Really, if you are hydrated before class, you shouldn't need water in class... at least not until maybe Fixed Firm.

Many if not most times, the water is a crutch that isn't necessary. One of the former instructors at BYB really challenged me to give up water and it has really improved my practice. I started slowly, i.e. not drinking during party time, and kept going.

Take water when you need it I guess, but really, I think you should be hydrated before class.

My two cents at least.
Me said…
Yeah... Sherie used to tell me I didn't need water too.

I beg to differ. But yeah, once you've gotten in a good practice, you don't need the water till the "designated" water times in the class...

After Eagle.
After Toe Stand.
Before Fixed Firm.

For me, even if I hydrate before class (complete with Coconut water before hand), I still have to hydrate at the designated water breaks.
Anonymous said…
Sherie was a favorite. She really improved my practice.

I imagine you're right that it differs for each and depends on your hydration before class. I still take my water in and have it when I need to. I have only been able to give up water since I gave up having coffee after 8:30AM, hydrate during the day, and eat at least four hours before class.

I usually have a measured bottle and realized that when I went in with the intention to not drink I finished class only consuming about 250mL. If I took water freely, I would usually consume about 500 - 750mL.

I just can't see though the need for water after Eagle. At least not chugging it.
Me said…
Yeah... I will admit... I only take a swig of water after eagle because everyone else does. I actualy don't need too though.

Sherie was one of my favorites too. She was tough, but still really cool. And I loved her arm tattoos!
Anonymous said…
If you can, and it will take a few classes, don't bring/sip any water during your practice. When I joined my current Bikram studio (Den Haag, Holland) I thought, "No way; impossible!." Guess what? It is so much better without it. Plus it will help you breathe better during your practice by teaching you that the thirst you sense is just a need for more breathing and that breathing will help you perspire more to deal with the heat. It's worth a try and will greatly improve the depth of your practice. Namaste.

- Nose Breather
Anonymous said…
Breath through your nose, that's the best advice I can give to a beginner.
Reebs said…
This is awesome. I'm going in about an hour... needed the tips! :)
Anonymous said…
Something that I've learned over time is: don't wipe the sweat away. It leads to fidgeting and a preoccupation with the heat. Plus, your body cools itself through sweat during Bikram.
Me said…
YES! That is 100% true!

Don't worry about wiping sweat. It makes you fidget and lose focus... Plus, it just comes back stronger.
0risha said…
Thanks for the sage advice. I'm wondering how much water a beginner should drink? I saw someone post almost a gallon! That seems like a lot, maybe a liter or so? I usually go to the restroom every hour on the hour, I wonder how I will hold up. I guess I'll just pretend I'm on a long road trip in a remote place. ^_^
Me said…
LOL!

How much water one needs prior to coming to class depends on a few things... Like what time of day they take class and how much water they are used to needing on a daily basis.

I try to get about three glasses (24 ounces) in before class during the day. But if I go to a morning class like I did today, I don't get any in before class.

So it just varies on the person. You will know when you feel "hydrated" before class.

And I also have to pee every hour on the hour when I am hydrating. That's why I make sure to get my last ounce of water in me at least an hour before the class starts. That way my body has time to process it and get it out of my system.

I refuse to leave the class if I have to pee. I just hold it in. Or sweat it out.
0risha said…
Thank you Missus. =) I'm sure after my first class I'll have a clearer idea of how to flow waterwise. I'm taking 7 am classes, so I suppose I could hydrate an hour before bed, and sip a bit upon waking, then hold out.

Thank you everyone for these tips. =)
Anonymous said…
Point 7: try an Iyengar level 3 to 6 and you'll see what kick your ass means!
Otherwise, I do love Bikram yoga
Anonymous said…
Hi, I just began with Bikram Yoga but today I have my period... Is it convenient to practice this kind of yoga with your period and cramps? Tell me please!!! I´m afraid to feel worst than I do now...
Me said…
Absolutely! I practice all the time when I am having mine... And I always feel better afterward. The thing to keep in mind for your first class is to take it easy. Remember to breathe THROUGH YOUR NOSE. And if you feel overwhelmed, stand or sit still. Focus on your breath. That will help calm you down.

Good luck!
Anonymous said…
I'm looking for a really great way to help me get active and get in shape. I've always struggled with my weight, to be honest. I'm currently over weight and just want a new lifestyle. Is this beginner class good for someone over weight? Or has never done any type of yoga before?

Thank you.
Me said…
Hi Staci.... This is a very good yoga for anyone at any size. And good for anyone who has never done yoga before. Just know that the first few classes will be a bit overwhelming, as your body adjusts to working in the heat
Anonymous said…
Great tips! Thank you! One more tip from a website (my soon-to-be bikram yoga class's website): "Don't worry about good or bad, just work at listening to your body."
Anonymous said…
I did Bikram for the first time last night. Never done any form of yoga before. Not an athlete, matter of fact, I'm overweight bordering on obese. Bikram is hard. Crazy hard. But, I didn't leave the room. And I'm going back tonight. I'll take it easy until I gain flexibility and build my tolerance for the heat. Eventually I will be better at Bikram. I will be more flexible and lighter. Right now, I'm just going to do what I can to get through the 90 minutes in the heat. Then, I'll concentrate on stamina. Then, flexibility. Then, limiting water.

Until then, I'm grateful for the welcoming nature of this yoga. It's hard but I truly feel it's good for me.
newblogger said…
Hi, this is my first time, ever, doing yoga, but I heard its a great workout and really helps to relax you and get you in shape all at the same time. Would you suggest I start with a different, basic yoga first, or can I go ahead and jump right into bikram yoga? Thanks! Melinda
Me said…
Hi Melinda. I think Bikram is a great first intro to yoga. Especially if you are like I was and more into yoga for the health benefits, rather than the idea of yoga in terms of what you see in mucus an read in magazines. When I first started doing Bikram, I wanted a workout... Which Bikram provided. But I learned to appreciate the other aspects of yoga because I my Bikram practice... Such as letting your mind quiet and being able to reflect what is going on internally. I thought all of that was crap till I started practicing Bikram for a while.
Anonymous said…
I did my first bikram class last night. I have been practicing other forms of yoga (I like vinyasa flow classes very much) for about 6 months and have tried other hot yoga but hadn't tried bikram yet.
Right before tree pose I got a pounding headache. I have been a migraine sufferer for 15 years, so I am very cautious about any headaches I get - I left the room. I came back in after the pounding had subsided, but it came back around fixed firm and I knew that was it, so I left the class and honestly it was all I could do to get myself home and take my meds and get in bed. I even threw up all the water I had drank due to the migraine.
I really would like to pursue bikram for a week or two and see if this improves, but I am afraid to get another doosie like I had last night. Any tips on headache avoidance?
The Kid said…
Me and my girlfriend are on our way to our first bikram class, thanks for the tips
Unknown said…
The first helpful tool for a total yoga beginner is to build basic familiarity with yoga ... I am so glad this post was helpful to you. ...
yoga for beginner

Popular Posts