The South End Is Not Over.

In case you didn't know...

The South End Is Over. (A few people have sent this to me today!)

I disagree with the writer. I think there is still wonderful diversity in the South End, and that's why I like living there. Just because the neighborhood isn't what it used to be doesn't mean it's void of diversity.

It's just a different kind of diversity now. In fact, one could argue that the South End is even MORE diverse now because it does have the "suburban" set there.

So, no, I don't think the South End is over. It's just evolving beyond what it was before.

And those people who are upset that it is changing... All I can say to you is, "Don't leave. If you leave, then I would have to leave too. I like having all kinds of people in my neighborhood. If you want the South End to be as diverse as it always has been, then it's your responsibility to stay. Let's evolve together."

"Otherwise, don't complain."

Comments

Anonymous said…
From the article: "[the demo shift]...proves our city deserves its reputation as an unstylish, provincial burg irredeemably stratified by race and class..."

Yep. Pretty much.
Me said…
Boston is a city that is pretty separated... But that's why I like the South End... It's way more diverse than many other neighborhoods. And it's up to those who feel that it is losing it's diversity to speak up and do something... Not just whine and complain (which is pretty much all the author of the piece did.)
Anonymous said…
Moxie,

I'll say this, the diversity in the South End passes the high-minded hurdle that JP sets for (and leaps) itself by miles.

Popular Posts