Interval Training.

Because I have three weeks till my vacation, I decided to let my trainer know that I want to step it up a little more in the next few weeks. Besides making me do a lot of core exercises this morning, she put together a "homework" plan for me... Interval training doing sprints on the treadmill. And I begin them tonight!

Here's how it breaks down:

5 minutes - Warm-up walk.
30 seconds - Run at 4.5 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely. No running or walking.
30 seconds - Run at 5.0 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely.
30 seconds - Run at 5.5 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely.
30 seconds - Run at 6.0 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely.
30 seconds - Run at 6.5 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely.
30 seconds - Run at 6.0 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely.
30 seconds - Run at 5.5 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely.
30 seconds - Run at 5.0 MPH.
1 minutes - Stop completely.
30 seconds - Run at 4.5 MPH.
3 minutes - Walk cool down.

It's a progressive climb to reach you max in terms of sprinting. If I can still maintain my core at 6.5 miles per hour, then I have to go to 7. Once you hit your max, you then climb back down using the same pattern.

The trainer explained that interval training is great for extra calorie burn. Your body will aggressively keep burning calories after you have stopped running. For a few hours at least.

Comments

Popular Posts