Bikram Yoga Paris: "But Madame, The Best Yoga Is Sleep!"

LOL!

I got up at 5:45am (Paris time) to get to a 7am Bikram class in Marais. I am staying at a boutique hotel in the 6th Arondissment in Paris... And the Marais Bikram Yoga studio (which is the closest one to me) is over a mile walk. But I got up early and walked all the way to the studio, to make it in plenty of time for the 7am Bikram class. But...

The hotel I am staying in does not allow you to leave the hotel with your room key. Whenever you leave the hotel, you need to leave your key at the front desk. There aren't many rooms in the hotel, and they know exactly who is staying in which room. (For example: No matter who is at the front desk, and no matter if I have ever met them, they know I am in room "deux.") And when I was walking out of my room at the ass-early hour of 6am, I found the front desk clerk sleeping on a blanket behind his desk.

"Je suis desole," I said. "I am going to yoga right now. I didn't mean to wake you."

He looked shocked.

"Vraiment? Maintenant?" he responded. "You are going now?"

"Oui," I laughed. "I have to go to yoga."

"But," he objected, "The best 'yoga' is 'sleep!'"

I laughed and told him I agreed.... But that Bikram's yoga was calling me. He understood my dedication, and happily took my key.

So I walked the 3.2 kilometers to Pompidou, which the Bikram yoga studio is close to...



It's a small studio. And it cost me $49 (USD) for the one class, with two towels, mat and water. But it was worth it. It was a very "juicy" class. Not hot, but very humid. And it was taught ALL IN FRENCH. No English. That suited me just fine too.

Of course, the teacher spoke English. I was grateful, when I walked into the studio at 6:45 am and said, "Bonjour! Je ne parle pas Francais."

He smile and said, "Bonjour. That is okay. I speak English."

During class, I was able to follow the instructions he gave... For example, during "Half Moon" pose, when we warm up by semi-marching our feet right and left while bending forward, I knew what he was saying when he said, "Droit et gauche. Droit et gauche. Droit et gauche. Droit et gauche."

And when I was doing Dandayamana - Bibhaktapada - Paschimottanasanahe specifically said to me, "The Missus... C'est facile! (SOMETHING) pieds!" (TRANSLATION: "It is too easy for you. Move your feet closer!")

And during a backbend, I got a "The Missus, tres bien!" (TRANSLATION: "Very good!")

I have to say... They kill you at the Bikram Yoga Paris studio, even though it wasn't quite as hot as I was used to. They hold the poses for what feels like a much longer time. And I thought Pranayama breathing would never end!!!

It was a tough practice... But very well worth the Euros spent and the sleep lost to get up so early. And now, I can say that I have practiced internationally at three studios!!!! (Melbourne, Amsterdam and Paris!)

Comments

April Elizabeth said…
i am truly impressed you have gone to bikram yoga everyday on your vacation. Astounded actually. I would have taken a vacation from yoga. thats why i am fat.

serosuly good for you!!!
Anonymous said…
Two thumbs!!! Tres fier de toi ma belle!!!
I started Bikram just 2 months ago and yet all the benefits I get not forgeting I have a severe asthma.
So reading your story,is a total motivation for me!
If by chance you plan to have a holiday in Jakarta,Indonesia..let me know so we can enjoy Bikram together.

Gros Bisous,
Iza.P.

Popular Posts