Starbucks In Paris?

Seriously... WTF?

I was walking down St. Michel Boulevard this afternoon with Frogger (as we made our way to the Notre Dame) and I noticed something that should not be here...



A Starbucks!

Then, a few blocks later...



Another one!

And then I saw at least two more throughout the afternoon. And then...



Another one on the walk home from dinner tonight!

I guess I always assumed that because there are wonderful cafes in Paris, they would never allow a Starbucks into the area. I mean, I've never seen a Pret A Manger here. Only in London and NYC. So, to see a coffee chain like Starbucks here was a bit disappointing... And that coming from a Starbucks addict!!!

I must say, though, that I would rather see a Starbucks in Paris than in Rome. If they ever show up in the Eternal City, I may never go back. That would just break my heart.

Comments

Duffy Pratt said…
They were all over Shanghai last year. And the Chinese don't even drink coffee. At least they didn't until recently.

If you get a croissant in a Starbucks in Paris, does it come from their international supplier? If so, that's just wrong....

The good news is that a quick search of their website reveals that Italy is still a Starbucks free zone.
Me said…
I hope Italy stays Starbucks free!
Oh, the Italians will NEVER allow Starbucks to come in. They're very adamant about that.
H!L said…
there's no sbux in argentina but that has more to do with the fact that starbucks started investing in latin american locations around the time of the economic crisis which scared 'em away from buenos aires... still, though, i think it's the same deal down there where porteños would be pissed about getting their cafe con leche from a chain as opposed to a legit cafetería.
You should see Zurich. One one every corner. They do serve a purpose. "take away" coffee is pretty new to Europe. I must say I don't always like lounging in a cafe when we are eager to get up the mountain. I can't imagine doing that in Paris or Italy tho....although I've never lived in either and am always on vacay so I'd have to rethink that if I should ever be lucky enough to call them my home!

We miss you!!! Kepp having fun and sending pics!

xoxo
ym
Dan said…
That is disappointing. The best coffee I ever tasted was at a small cafe on Ile St-Louis. Love the 4th.
Cathy said…
Guys - no need to panick. The starbucks are for the American visiting the cities...

Love your Bikram posts btw!!
Me said…
That's what I thought... But when walking past them, it was French I overheard being spoken at the tables outside. I think it's catching on with the French.

Popular Posts