Europe In Two Days! SQUEE!!!!!

I've been insanely busy the past few days... Between my birthday stuff, a few yoga classes, some small projects and moving stuff... I keep forgetting (momentarily) that I leave for Europe in two days.

YAY!

I was telling The Husband the other night that, "It's kind of funny that I am using my severance pay from a travel company to go on a multi-city European vacation."

He agreed that it was funny, but a well-deserved vacation. (For the record, I did offer to bring him with Frogger and me... But he kindly passed... As he knows it is more of a girls-getaway.)

It seems like, based on my last poll results, that many of you are like me... And not letting a "creative sabbatical" or "bummer" economy keep you from your vacations.



I think there's no finer time to travel, ESPECIALLY if you find yourself not working. You have the time... It can take you a while before you find a new job. And who says you can't surf Monster.com at night, while on vacation?

I once worked with a woman who got laid off fro ma previous job and spent the six weeks following it in the South Pacific. We were living in NYC then, and all you had to do to file for unemployment was phone in your claim each week. It took her a good three months to find a new job... One which didn't give her much vacation time to start. So she was happy she took the time when she had it.

"It was easier to de-stress in some place warm and beautiful," she reasoned. "And technology makes it easy to keep up connections and job-hunt."

So true! And imagine how fun it will be to explain to potential employers that you are a "positive person" and you "leveraged" your time off by having an adventure... Rather than freaking out and being sad.

Comments

Frogger said…
It's just... Not... Here... Soon...Enough.

Europe. NOW!
Me said…
"Hear! Hear!"
That Girl! said…
I hope you have a wonderful time. I love Paris so much and hope to have a chance to visit myself some day soon.

I will say that I think that these economical times are a bit different than any I've seen in my 30 something years. I can understand people being sad and freaking out because there simply are not enough jobs to go around right now and so many people are dipping into their retirement/savings funds to make ends meet. I've never seen so many layoffs and businesses closing in my entire life. It's very scary for many people and while I absolutely agree with the idea of staying "positive", for many, even with the great rates on vacations, a trip doesn't seem like the wisest move. It's a luxury that not everyone can afford right now but I'm super excited that you get to go!!

So please have a wonderful time! I hope your new Earnest Sewn jeans serve you well :)
Me said…
Oh I am sure they will! And my new blazer!
The Mama In Red said…
I hope you have a great time, and I can't wait to see some photos!

Popular Posts