Workwear Boutique: I WISH I Could Be This Fancy!

When I was younger (like 15 years ago), I always envisioned myself in a career where I had to dress up for work each day and go into the office to do grown-up things... Like have "power lunches," make ground-breaking decisions and then go to corporate gym to work off stress at the end of each day. I had it in my mind that I would wear heels and suits every day to work. I would be "corporate girl chic." And that would require me to wear stuff like this...



This is from Net-a-Porter's new online "Workwear Boutique."

I never had a career where I had to dress this fancy. I imagine you only get to dress this chic if you work at an investment bank (which technically doesn't even exist anymore - as they are all now just "banks"), powerful law firm or fashion magazine (like in "The Devil Wears Prada.").

No, every career I have ever had (from the newsroom, to the PR firm, to the bridal consulting at the Evil Empire to all the marketing gigs), it never once required me to get this kind of chic. The most fancy-dress job I had was as the bridal consultant... And even then, you couldn't go too over-board, because you wanted the brides you worked with to feel more stylish and chic than you were. Plain Banana Republic or Ann Taylor suits, mixed with twin sets, was the modus operandi.

Every other job I had allowed me to mix jeans into my outfits, provided I still looked polished and professional to some extent. And so, I don't think I will ever have a need to get this fancy for work...

Though, I must confess, I am quite envious of those who do get to. Even though it's a lot of work to get that dressed up and coiffed each day, it really distinguishes your "work style" from your "casual style." Even before my "creative sabbatical" began, my "work" and "casual" styles were intertwined.

So much for teenage visions of the future!

Comments

BFW (Tammy) said…
Hey... do you know about Net-a-porters new outlet store??? I saw the link in a magazine... but I forget what it is. I can get it for you or I'm sure you can find it on google. It's supposed to be great!
Me said…
I do know about it... I think I did it a post on it a while back... Let me see if I can find it. I signed up to be alerted when it launched... I don't think it has launched yet though.

Popular Posts