Tips To Avoid Germs While In Flight.

I know so many people going on vacation in the next few weeks. Turks & Caicos, Aruba, Ireland, Chicago, Costa Rica... Just to name a few of the destinations of choice. It's vacation season, and people are anxious to get on their flights and get "chill-laxing."

Or are they?

I have heard so many people freaking out in the past 48 hours over the Swine Flu - oh, excuse me, the 2009 H1N1 virus - that I am calling "unnecessary hysteria" on this one. Yes, this is a new form of influenza that humans have not seen before, nor are we naturally immune to it. BUT, there are ways you can avoid this flu (which is being spread person-to-person)... And it involves good manners.

Yes... Wash your freaking hands, cover your eff-ing mouth when you cough, use a freaking tissue when you sneeze - and throw it away... You know, shit you should already be doing as a functioning adult.

Now, of course, you have to factor in the children... Children are naturally dirty little bastards. (I know most children are not bastards... I just wanted to write it.) And you can be as sterile as humanly possible around children, and they will still track in the nasty illnesses. It can be worse than the scary-looking prostitutes we saw sitting in the windows in Brussels... If you have kids or work with kids, you know: You are forever wiping them down.

You carry antibacterial wipes and gels with you. And the damn kids still get freaking sick. Which in turn gets you sick. And you work for assholes who won't allow you to work from home, so you go into work sick. And you try to be conscientious of what you touch (Unlike that skanky person who leaves their freaking fingernail clippings on the conference room table!), but you manage to get others sick.

It is the same with vacations too... You've worked long hours. You and your family planned the vacation months ago. Hell can freeze over before you decide you're not going to go because of a freaking illness. So you get on a plane for a few hours, and you practice your good manners... Hoping you get no one else sick. And others on the plane appreciate your efforts, and are simultaneously taking preventative measures to avoid your (and anyone else's) germs.

Here are some of those measures:
  1. Carry tissues. And throw them away after you use them.
  2. Cover your mouth when you cough. (Duh!) And don't be afraid to ask someone else to do the same if they don't. But please do it politely. No need to get the air marshall involved.
  3. Drink carbonated water. (This one comes from Cheap Chic Travel.) "Carbonated water means the water is fresh and free of bacteria; esp helpful tip when traveling to remote places."
  4. Use antibacterial wipes to swab down your area on the plane.
  5. Swab your nostrils with Zicam. It's meant for warding off colds... But it can help with flu germs too.
In my opinion, there's no need for a surgical mask for the plane. That just creates the "unnecessary hysteria." And I will bitch slap you if I am on a flight and you get hysterical. Air marshall be damned.

Comments

thedancingj said…
Hee.

http://xkcd.com/574/
Doshi said…
For the past couple of years, I literally flew every week and was astounded by how inconsiderate seemingly civilized people could be.

After sitting next to a man who blew his nose into his hand, I now have no problem covering my face with a napkin (or sometimes spending the entire flight underneath my pashmina shawl) if warranted.

Another huge problem is that people don't seem to know when they were actually coughing.

Newsflash: if you're clearing your throat and your mouth happens to be open, that's a cough.
(...stepping down off soap box...)
Me said…
Hear! Hear!
Duffy Pratt said…
For the most part I'm with you. But what good are anti-bacterial wipes going to do against a flu virus?
Me said…
They'll help kill flu germs that may be lying dormant on objects. People with the flu cough, sneeze and rub their faces... Then touch other common things... Wipe down stuff to prevent the germs of whoever was sitting in your seat before you from latching onto you.
Glad my twitter posts are providing blog fodder! Doshi's comments are exactly, in part, why I am purchasing surgical masks to bring on our vacation to the Caribbean. While I can control my own behavior, I cannot control that of fellow passengers on my four hour flight.

Am I going to wear it everywhere like those in Mexico City are doing? No, not unless I'm told to do so by the CDC or other health experts. I'll use it on the flight if I feel I need to protect myself from sick people around me. It's a simple step to take, I don't care what anyone around me thinks of it or me, and if it might ensure I don't get sick on my vacation, I think it's pretty reasonable, particularly since so little is known about the virus. No hysteria here, just common sense.

I have antibacterial gel and wipes already packed in my carry on, but thanks for the reminder to pack my Zicam as well!
Me said…
LOL! I didn't think of you as hysterical... It was the media reports and other bloggers I have read who are creating mass hysteria around the issue. And I think you are smart by packing it just in case... Because you are right: you can't control everyone else's behavior.
Oh, I know what you mean about the media. I feel terrible for those people who've had to cancel their vacation to Mexico as a result of all of this.

Because I am type-A, I also called my doctor to get a prescription of Tamiflu to take, just in case either of us got sick and couldn't get it on the island. That was a no-go (the supplies are tight and you can only get it if you are sick) but I couldn't let it go without trying!
Duffy Pratt said…
Here's a link to an article discussing a study which showed that washing with plain water was more effective at removing viruses than using anti-bacterial soap or alcohol. Anti-bacterial may be great at killing bacteria, but its effectiveness against viruses is another thing altogether. Not all germs are alikel

Here's the link:
http://www.asm.org/Media/index.asp?bid=42835
The Mama In Red said…
Children are carrier monkeys, and I can't even tell you how nervous I get when the kidlets bring home the funk. If I could just hose them down outside with some antibacterial water before they come in the house, that would be fantastic. =)

Popular Posts