I Prefer Theory To Prada, Myself.

I was reading an article in the Styles Section this morning about how women are downsizing their wardrobe budgets along with the downsizing of the economy.

It mentions that women are still shopping, but that they are giving extra thought to how a piece factors into their overall seasonal wardrobe, and whether a high-end designer piece can be substituted with a more moderately-priced designer piece. But, it asks the question...

"...is it realistic to think that a woman who wears Prada will give her love to Theory?"

Personally, I prefer Theory to Prada. That's because Theory IS my high-end designer. I actually don't like Prada at all. I feel the same way about it as I do Louis Vuitton bags: Far too sophisticated for my style.

Additionally, Theory ain't exactly cheap. I spent almost $300 on a cashmere blend sweater from Theory when I was in NYC last Fall. That was the most I had ever spent on a sweater, and I wear it weekly at least once, if not twice. But this got me thinking about wardrobe budgeting, and how much we all spend on clothing each year.

I have always had a budget. Always. It is 10% of my salary. I divide it up by quarter, which allows me to do shopping each season. It may seem like I just buy things in a "dilly-dally" fashion, with the way I write about them here, but I actually do not. I make sure to subtract the cost of the item from my overall budget for that quarter.

But it got me wondering what everyone else does. So, I set up a poll for this week, to the right, to canvass my readers... Do you budget for your wardrobe? Do you know how much you spend on clothes each year?

Comments

Frogger said…
Personally, I think your fashion style and budget changes with age. I've learned the hard way over the years that buying less expensive clothes only results in my buying more clothes because the quality of the cloth doesn't hold up. That said, I'd prefer to spend a little more on a Prada piece (and I *heart* Prada) that will I know will last, then spend less on clothes at H&M, for example, which I know will fall apart after a few wears and washes.
Me said…
So 100% TRUE, Frogger!

Prada is totally you! You have the sophisticated look.. I am too "dilly-dally" with my style. I agree though... The pricey pieces CAN be worth the $$$, IF you can get plenty of wear out of them.
Bratty Duke said…
This followed your post on my google reader (bad sentence construction, can't be helped) and I thought I should share:

http://www.fashionisspinach.com/2009/04/going-greener.html
rq said…
this is not meant to be rude in any way, but if your budget it 10% of your salary... and right now you are not working, technically shouldn't your budget be $0 right now?
Me said…
LOL!

No worries, RQ. I take no offense to the question, as I expected it from someone.

When I was working, my wardrobe budget was 10%. And because I received a severance package that has lasted me three months now (and will easily last me till I move next month), the 10% still applies.

Once I get up to Toronto, if I go back to working for someone else, it will still be 10%.

Popular Posts