Day Trip In Bruges.

Just wanted to do a quick post about Bruges, which we visited yesterday.

It was about an hour's train ride from Brussels - Noord Station. And then we hopped a short bus ride to the center of town once we got to Bruges.



The first thing we did, when we got there, was climb the Belfort.



It's a tall tower that overlooks the entire town. And it has a ridiculous number of stairs you have to climb just to get to the top. The stairs are very narrow, and the staircase itself gets narrower and narrower the further up you go. If someone is coming down the staircase, you have to maneuver out of their way, as only one person can really fit on a stair at a time. There are "rest stops" every few flights. And you will need them, no matter what shape you are in physically.

It did have a pretty view though...



I will be doing a podcast with lots of pictures from Bruges. But I must confess... If you go to Brussels, there isn't a whole lot to do there. If you really want to experience Belgium, I recommend you go to take day trips to Bruges and Ghent.

Comments

Doshi said…
I have to say, I really enjoy these posts.

Did you guys visit any museums, palaces, cathedrals, or cruise the canals while in Brussels? I scored a beauuuutiful color guide book of Brussels (including Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, etc) for like $1 and it seems like there's so much to see there.

I hope you enjoy Paris. The couple times I've been, I stayed in the Marais but I walked all over and hit the top spots (favorite museum was the Picasso house,which is a little off the beaten path).
Sonja said…
Thanks for your posts on Belgium. I'll be staying with friends in Brussels and now I know to "get outta town". ha! ☺ If you have any more suggestions for Belgium & places nearby, I'd love to hear them.

I caught your blog a while back while looking up information about Bikram. Those were helpful hints... HYDRATE... of course... That really saved me a lot of suffering. Thank you.

While in Brussels, I hope to visit the studio there since it's fun to compare/contrast the different studios.

Last summer I was in Oregon and went to a studio in Eugene.

In Eugene, they are very laid back. I think some of the original hippies settled there. While there, I bought an awesome tie-dye shirt. [You have to buy one, it is required.] Anyhoo, as I said, they are way more laid-back as in clothing optional. Not in the studio! In the dressing room. The one shower they had in the women's locker room did not have a privacy area to get dressed. Since I wasn't there long enough to "adapt" to my environment [to do as the Romans do], I got dressed in the shower stall. Despite running into nudie patooties at Bikram's and at the hot springs while hiking [they politely invited us to sit in the springs with them and we politely accepted in our swimsuits], Oregon is a wonderful place to visit (in the summer).

Popular Posts