Busy Week. Mission: Coffee.

I've only been in Toronto for a little over 48 hours now, and it has been a very busy 48 hours. So I apologize for not having written much about it yet. There are just a few things that I need to take care of before I really start to explore the city.

Here is what I have done in the past two days:
  • Get through immigration.
  • Explore immediate neighborhood a little.
  • Settle into our temporary home.
  • Buy groceries.
  • Look at more longer-term places to live.
  • Tour nearby neighborhoods.
  • Bikram yoga class at a new studio.
  • Find out where to register for social insurance number (needed to work and open a bank account in Canada) and OHIP (government health care) card.
I have walked a ton, and have found myself exhausted by later afternoons. I have a few errands that I need to take care of tomorrow, and then hopefully Wednesday/Thursday I will be able to explore some further neighborhoods. One that I am really interested in hitting up is Cabbagetown. A few weeks back, Bail and Whale told me about a kick ass coffee shop over in Cabbagetown. It is called JetFuel, and I am really set on making this one of my first adventures.

Now that I am in Canada, and the Starbucks here don't accept the Starbucks Gold Card, I am interested in exploring other coffee shops. I tried the Second Cup yesterday. And there is also Timothy's, which is good too. There are three other chains in the area, as well as an independent one around the corner.

It'll be good not to be tied down to the "bucks." In Boston, Starbucks were just so convenient. I couldn't stomach Dunkin' Donuts coffee, and all the independent coffee shops were just too far away.

Comments

Catherine said…
As a Canadian (from Ottawa) who randomly fell on your blog and got kinda addicted to it, I think it's great to hear about your Canadian adventures! Toronto is a great city. You'll have tons of fun there.
Britt said…
Nah second cup is really nothing special.
Me said…
LOL! Yeah... Britt... Second Cup was okay, but nothing too great. Timothy's may be the one I frequent most, as they appear to have free wireless.

Thanks for reading, Cookie!
Bonnie said…
Tim Hortons. It may not seem like anything special at first, but you'll learn, hah!

Also, check out Bikram Yoga Beaches. It's not super close to where you're staying now, but it's a beautiful studio with great teachers.

I only just came across your blog, but as a transplant from Toronto to Chicago it's making me a little homesick. Have fun :)
Barb said…
As a Canadian who lived in Boston for 3 years, I (sheepishly) have to admit I grew to like Dunkin more than Timmy's (not Timothy's)

Popular Posts