Tips For Bikram Yoga Beginners.

I've posted about tips for people looking to try out a Bikram yoga class for the first time... And I feel like it is time to post them again, as it seems that more and more new people are trying it out each time I go to class.

In yesterday's, I saw a newbie have a really tough class. REALLY tough. I wanted to go up to her and tell her, "Hey! I've been there too! I've practiced for over four years now, and I still get sick and have problems with poses. Just take it easy!" But, you can't really talk in a Bikram yoga class. And I am not the teacher, so I didn't think it was my place to try to console her. The teacher was doing a good job at that already. It did get me thinking, though, that people need to be more realistic about what to expect when they go to a Bikram class...

I have seen many new people do the following in recent weeks:
  • Wear long pants and tee shirts to class.
  • Not bring any water into class.
  • TALK during class. (This one really annoys me.)
  • Try to leave class in the middle. (What was the point in coming then?)
  • Comment to the teacher that it's "really hot." (Um... "Duh.")
  • Someone gulping water and pouring all over their boobs, while breathing loudly. (To be fair, I didn't see this one. Someone else did and told me about it afterwards.)
These may not seem like huge infractions, but they really are. And that's because it interferes with the energy of the class. When you are in a classroom, any classroom, you are there to learn. You are there to focus on what you are taking from the teaching. And if you are exerting energy in an inefficient way, you are actually taking away from the energy everyone else is using too. Energy that we are trying to use efficiently. So, in an effort to help people who are looking to take their first Bikram yoga class, below are some recommendations I have made for you.

Bikram Yoga Tips for Beginners:

1. Arrive early to your first few classes. The first time you go, you will have paper work to fill out. The next few times after, you want to get there about 15 minutes before class starts (at least) to acclimate to the heat in the room. Be careful though, it easy to doze off if you lay down on your back.

2. Where as little clothing as possible, but still be appropriate. A lot of girls tend to wear long yoga pants. I did that for over two years. I should have switched to shorts a lot sooner. I recommend yoga shorts for girls, and a yoga tank top or sports bra. Guys seem to be a little shy in their first few classes and don't want to take off their shirts. Big mistake. A loose t-shirt gets in the way. And to be quite honest, even if you are the hottest guy we've ever seen, chances are, the other people around you probably won't be checking you out during class. You get so focused on your practice that you don't often see the details on another person.

3. Remember to drink water; but only between postures. My sister (Red) and I had a similar experience in our first classes. We both felt so nauseated that we were afraid to drink water. We thought if we did, we would puke. But you NEED to sip water during the class. But SIP it. Don't CHUG it. And remember to drink only between postures, as it is less distracting to other people around you.

4. If you feel like you are going to pass out, sit down on your knees. I've been so tired lately, I have had to sit down during a few poses myself yesterday. We almost had a girl faint in class a few Fridays back. The teacher gave her some coconut water. She was back in action a few minutes later. (Coconut water helps!)

5. Don't talk during class. Seriously, this one annoys me greatly. New people, especially if they come with friends the first time, tend to want to talk. But don't do it. You will get evil stares for breaking the silence of the meditation.

6. Don't leave the classroom. You bet your ass it's hot in there. And you better believe the first class you will want to leave. But don't do it. Not even to pee. Also, don't tell the teacher that's it too hot/cold in the room, and that they need to do something about it. Your job is to just practice. You are not in control. You have to adapt.

7. Accept that even if you have done a different kind of yoga for years, Bikram yoga will still kick your ass the first time. Seriously. I have seen people come to class and be all "Well, I do Baptiste yoga. So this class won't be so hard." Guess what? Yes it will. Bikram rooms are bit hotter than Baptiste rooms. AND you hold the poses for much longer. Bikram is a "hard-core" but "beginner-friendly" yoga. So don't come into class on your high horse. Your fall will be that much greater.

8. Don't eat three hours (at least) before class. Sometimes, I don't eat for for or five hours before class. If you have a heavy meal that you don't digest before class, you will regret it when you bend forward and feel like you're going to puke. And I have heard tales (recent ones) of people puking in class.

9. REST after final breathing. There are so many people I see (both new and experienced) that hop up after class as soon as the final breathing exercise is done. This is bad. You need to plan for time to rest on your back after class. Getting up too quickly just to get out of the hot room (or catch your train) means you're not taking advantage of all the hard work you just spent 90 minutes doing. Your body needs to rest. For at least two minutes. I prefer five minutes myself.

10. Don't be ashamed to cry. Bikram yoga can be very emotional. All that backwards bending opens up the heart chakra. Some people see "green stars" the first few times they do camel pose. That means their heart chakra is beginning to open. I tell them, "That's awesome! Good for you! You are making progress!" But some people cry when they open that heart chakra. I cried a little one time during locust pose. I don't why I cried, but it was just so emotional for me.

11. Come back to practice again soon. My first class was Monday, October 11, 2004. I came back the very next day for a second class. And for the past four, almost five, years I am glad to see my interest in practicing Bikram has stuck. (Shit, I've stuck with Bikram longer than I stuck with most jobs. I average a year and a half to exactly two years with most jobs I have had.) If you come back the next day for your second class, maybe it will be the same for you?

Comments

Leah said…
I'm a bona fide water chugger! I definitely chug quietly but I do gulp it down.

I also wanted to add: please don't talk in the yoga room once the class is over as well. This is people's quiet meditation time and even though the class is "over", some of us are trying to enjoy our 2 mins of relaxation.
Me said…
Quietly chugging is totaaly acceptable. It is the people who breathe heavily and loudly when they drink that make me want to scream. And totally agree with you on the post-clad chatty-cathies.
thedancingj said…
Also, ha, just realized... the girl who almost passed out was more than "a few Fridays ago", cause I was the one who went out and got her the Zico! I think that was Mimi's class. Back in the DAY!!
YogaTraditionalist said…
People have higher blood pressure in a hot environment. People also get high blood pressure in an inverted posture like camel. The sensation Bikram instructors call the "opening of the heart chakra" is just the effects of artificially increasing blood pressure to the point where the brain tells the body that it's about to pass out.

A yogi can indeed open his heart chakra through practice and meditation. That state of heightened awareness which enhances the sense of love and compassion isn't the same sensation as artificially high blood pressure.

Bikram studios can call it what they like, but students aren't opening their heart chakras by doing the camel.
Duffy Pratt said…
Listen to the teacher and do what s/he says.

Breathe. If you have to breath through your mouth, then take a rest.

Leave your expectations at the door.
Me said…
Um, Yoga Traditionalist... You are kind of wrong.

Yes, blood pressure does increase in inverted positions like Wheel and Camel... But they do help open your Heart Chakra. Bikram yoga is 90 minute moving meditation. It is not "fluffy" like a lot of other yogas where you chant and visualize stuff, which is what people think of as meditation. Bikram yoga is purely about healing. And in the 90 minute conversation we are having with the teacher (they speak, we respond with postures) we are hitting each of the chakras and helping to heal by moving energy through them. Bikram yoga is Hatha yoga.
Anonymous said…
Here in LA, they offer One Natural Experience Coconut Water at Bikram Yoga. We drink 11 oz after class, and they come in these great recyclable paper boxes.
Me said…
I agree... Coconut water is SO good for you after class! I haven't ever tried the "ONE" brand, only the Zico brand. I am hoping they sell it at the studio I will be practicing at in Toronto. They didn't sell it in Amsterdam or Paris when I was there. :(
thedancingj said…
Good tips! And now I will contradict half of the things you said in your Most Excellent post by saying that as far as the quality of MY personal practice is concerned, I really don't give a shit if the people around me talk, take water bottle showers, leave the room 20 times, do the Sex Breathing, or whatever. And I will shamelessly check out the hot shirtless guys behind me.

It's fully possible that I'm insane and/or evil.

But I actually do have a point. Good etiquette is great, but I think it's a big deal to have compassion for other people, no matter how spastic they appear, because you have no idea who they are or what they have been through. Everyone brings something different into that room. And a little chaos is good for helping you improve your focus, because hey, LIFE is FULL of distractions!!

The only ones who are capable of really distracting me are the ones who most definitely Should Know Better!

J :)
Me said…
LOL!

I do actually agree with you, J. If you are advanced enough in your practice, people can scream at you in class and you will be able to stay steady in your meditation.

I just remember one time when Teacher "T" (who had practiced a few mats down from me in class) screamed at some people, "QUIET!!!!!" when they were chatting so loudly after class.

It was funny. I had never heard her yell like that.
heyweng said…
This is really helpful. I've only done bikram twice and both times had to puke - not sure of the reason. First time I was able to hold until end of the class, but the 2nd time was more nauseating than ever. I do hot vinyasa most of the time because that I can handle... However, I'm determined to succeed in Bikram!!!

Thanks for this.
Me said…
Oh you're welcome, "Leaving"!!!

Vinyasa is serious stuff too... Good for you for expanding your yoga practice!

Eventually, the puking feeling will subside. I promise.
thedancingj said…
Zico is my favorite.

Haha - I have NEVER seen her really yell!! She is always the level-headed one in a situation...

By the way, I see that u have discovered my under-the-radar blog... thanks for the link... I am so busted now!! ;-)
Me said…
LOL! I am actually reading your blog right this minute!
April Elizabeth said…
i went to my first class this morning. I wish I had read this first.

I every-time i bent down i thought i would be sick AND I stumbled ALOT. It was embarrassing. Really embarrassing. But I paid to go today, tomorrow, wed and thursday (this places has a 4 consecutive first time student deal). I did like it AND i didnt puke (although i definitely almost did.

So I am going tomorrow. If i can get rid of this migraine (possibly going straight from yoga to a 2 mile walk with my dog at Jamaica pond was poor planning)

i totally ended up a mouth breather like 3 times. I didnt realize i was doing it. As soon as i did i quit.
Me said…
COOL!

Which studio did you practice at April Elizabeth?
JaynesAve said…
I am a beginner (in my second week!) and appreciate all the great tips. My experience has been-
1. I prefer to not have cold, but tepid water as ice cold can seem a bit shocking to my heated body. And, I'm a chugger, too, but a quiet one.
2. The Zico coconut is definitely a must. Also, I found that eating a salty pickle helps, too. But, it is usually on or the other. Mixing the two is a bit weird.
3. Although after the first days I felt that walking again could seriously impair me, getting back into a class was truly the only cure.
April Elizabeth said…
i live in roslindale so i hit up Bikram Yoga for you in West Roxbury (becuase I can walk or drive and avoid the T)
thedancingj said…
-> April Elizabeth - I loooove Yoga for You. Diane, the owner, is my hero. And you can walk around the block to the Real Deal after class to get salty chips and pickles and juice. :)
Yoga Traditionalist said…
It's a clinical fact, Missus.

Bikram practioners can label the sensation however they want - the biological facts remain the same. The effects described is what happens when high blood pressure which causes your brain to swell a bit more than it should. Consult a medical professional if you're curious.

Perhaps Bikram devotees can achieve the same effect as meditation by making the brain swell, but a meditative yoga discipline doesn't risk an aneurism.
Me said…
Oh please "Yoga Traditionalist"... I'm about to get a touch venomous, so kindly prepare yourself.

First, you don't see me "pissing" all over the more popular and Americanized forms of yoga that people are doing, despite the fact that they are a joke. You go to India, people aren't using props and doing some of the absurdly-named poses you see in classes that teach what I think is "faux yoga." And "flow yoga," while fun, is not real yoga. Yoga isn't an aerobics class.

Yoga, like religion, is a personal choice. And despite what I may think about the traditional and popular yoga, I don't believe in "hating" or attempting to preach about the dangers of the particular yoga. And I definitely don't go around claiming that there are "biological facts" that back up my "hating" comments. As far as I know, it's a "clinical and scientific fact" that Bikram yoga has MANY benefits to people.

Second, nothing you do in Bikram makes you risk an aneurysm in the brain. We do traditional hatha yoga poses - the same 26 in every class. Each and every pose serves a purpose. And none of them puts you in danger.

Bikram yoga is a very healthy yoga. And it can be practiced by anyone at any age. I have seen old people practice it. I have seen MANY pregnant women practice it. Children? They practice it too.

You know why?

Because (and I am quoting an 80-year-old here), "This shit works."

Bikram is intense, no arguing there. It can be hot. It can drive you insane having to hold a pose for a full 60 seconds. And then have to turn around and hold it a second time (because we do each pose twice). And you have to show no fear when going into certain poses - because let's face it... Backward bends can be scary.

But we keep coming back because we feel great. Sometimes we even feel great during class. But we always feel great after class.

So, "Yoga Traditionalist" (and I am mocking you when I write that... Because even though I have no idea what type of yoga you personally practice, I am going to guess it is one of the "faux" versions), spread your hate for Bikram some place else. And I promise to not hate on you and your "faux" yoga.
Bex said…
THANK YOU THE MISSUS! I get so annoyed with people putting down certain types of exercises which they may or may not have ever tried, and with no real basis for doing so. With all of the health and obesity issues we have today, NO ONE should be discouraging exercise and healthy living. If someone finds a type of exercise (and, meditation) program they like, the more power to them.

Clearly "Yoga Traditionalist" should go meditate a bit more and try to leave the negativity at home...
Me said…
LOL!

Congrats on getting back into your practice Bex!!!
Kylee said…
Thank you so much for the great tips! I also got a lot of information from your blog on how to prepare for a 30-day Bikram. I've never done it, but have been researching Bikram for a while now. I think I'm going to give it a shot!

Is there anything else that I should avoid doing? After looking at the asanas, I know that there are at least a few that are WAY too difficult for me right now. Should I attempt them anyway? I'm afraid that I might lose my balance and fall, which would be very distracting for everyone around me. How do I learn the poses without disrupting others?
Me said…
I'm glad it was helpful for you, Kylee!

I have been practicing over 4 years, and there are poses that are still really difficult for me. You should definitely attempt each pose, as that is what will help you progress in the posture.

I lose my balance in postures all the time. Specifically in Standing Bow pose. It's because as I go further into the pose and advance, I kick my leg so much behind me that I fall forward. Some days I don't fall forward. But falling forward is okay.

The most distracting things anyone can do (for me) are talk or exhale really loudly through the mouth. Someone doing a pose and losing their balance isn't really that distracting. It means they are working hard on improving their health.
Anonymous said…
I am glad I found this post/blog! I started bikram yesterday and went again tonight.

I am having a terrible time with the heat after about 30-40 minutes. I feel like I am going out of my mind and want to escape the room.

A real battle.

I am going to try the water tips here and the coconut water.

Thanks again!
Me said…
It was our pleasure, Nevada!
Anonymous said…
I tried yoga for the first time yesterday - I was horrible :( I'm only going back b/c I paid for 2 classes but I am scared.

I broke one of your laws and asked to leave - he said no way. Glad I didn't though because it was kind of eye opening. I feel SO out of shape after that experience.

I am going to try a 14 day challenge and see how that goes then I'll try a 30 day challenge next (baby steps right?). Any advice on overcoming dizziness? I got so dizzy just during the first breathing pose that I sat out the next 4 poses b/c I was literally about to faint (I have very low BP).
Me said…
I suffer from low BP and the dizzies too. Best thing for you to do is always remember to breathe. Nice and slow, through the nose. Make your exhales longer than your inhales... This helps you control your breath. Make simply breathing and staying in the room your goals for the first few classes.
emilyscott said…
I do hot vinyasa most of the time because that I can handle.That state of heightened awareness which enhances the sense of love and compassion isn't the same sensation as artificially high blood pressure.

Women's Health
Anonymous said…
Ive read through this blog (extremely informative, thanks, I love bikram) and the comments you leave. Sometimes you tend to have an attitude? (Get off your high horse, etc) I don't see that often among people who practice yoga.
Be confident in what you say and you won't need to add snark.
Me said…
Oh... But the snark is one of my best parts! That isn't allowed to ever leave!!
Andrea's Breath said…
Wow! I have read this entire thing and I must say I tried Bikhram last week for the first time I went three times it was hard, really hard.I have practiced Hatha yoga and find that I am missing somethings in Bikhram. Yoga for me is not only about the poses on the mat but also a practise outside the class, off my mat which my hatha classes has led me to. There is a tranqulity that I get from the other classes that I haven't found in bikhram as yet,probably, it is there and I do not see it.So hooray for Bikhram but if you have tried other yoga you will see there is somthing missing. Oh yeah I only tried Bikhram because I want to lose weight.
Janell said…
I tried bikram for the first time this morning. I am only 1 day back from having the flu. From the first breathing exercise I thought I was going to puke and pass out. I was/am so embarrassed. I had to sit down so much and it finally got to the point that I did the unspeakable and left class early. I wish I would have read this post before going to class to mentally prepare for it. I just couldn't figure out if I wasn't really over the flu like I thought or if Bikram yoga is so intense that I will feel like this in the beginning. I want to try it tomorrow but the instructor told em to wait until monday. But I must say I feel so light and energized. despite hating the heat I will be going back for some more torture.
Janell said…
I tried bikram for the first time this morning. I am only 1 day back from having the flu. From the first breathing exercise I thought I was going to puke and pass out. I was/am so embarrassed. I had to sit down so much and it finally got to the point that I did the unspeakable and left class early. I wish I would have read this post before going to class to mentally prepare for it. I just couldn't figure out if I wasn't really over the flu like I thought or if Bikram yoga is so intense that I will feel like this in the beginning. I want to try it tomorrow but the instructor told em to wait until monday. But I must say I feel so light and energized. despite hating the heat I will be going back for some more torture.
Me said…
Good for you Janell!

Definitely listen to the instructor... Wait till Monday. Give your body a chance to recover fully from the flu. But in general, after a Bikram class, you will feel great. Amazing.
Janell said…
Does anyone get headaches after class??
Me said…
Yep. Sometimes. THat tends to happen when you have a lot of "toxins" or just crap in general to get out of your body.

Or when you are hungover and go to class.
Janell said…
LOL!!! I figured the toxin part.. But that is a good note to self for before cracking open that first beer. Thanks you have been so helpful!
Julie Wilcox said…
Whenever I need “me” time, I turn to meditation. When I meditate, I am with myself and nobody else; my mind is my only company. I’m a bit of a loner, so I really do cherish the days where I get to spend the entire day alone, being productive and creativity, but these days are rare. Meditation? That’s a daily thing!
epoh76 said…
I went to Bikram for the first time last night. I have been super dizzy for most of the day today. Can the two be related? Is it normal to be so dizzy the next day? Can anyone help?
Me said…
Hi Epoch... Yes. This is perfectly normal. You worked on your body in ways you haven't (probably) ever before. So your body is like, "WTF are you doing to my internal organs, massaging and making them sweat like this?"

What you're feeling is completely normal. It is a form of the body purging.
Anonymous said…
I had to quit hot yoga for a couple of years because it would give me migraines about 40% of the time. I tried everything! Finally, my doctor diagnosed me with "exercise-induced migraines." After a quick rule-out MRI of something more serious, he prescribed me 50 mg of Indomethacin which I take 20 minutes before I start. Coupled with a vitamin-water that I drink during practice instead of regular water, I can tell you that I'm headache free 100% of the time. It has been a god-send to me. I now do hot yoga 3x per week again and am back to my goal weight. Feel free to repost this recommendation anywhere because it has literally changed my life.
Anonymous said…
I was reading your blog and enjoying it until in one of your responses to "Yoga Traditionalist" you said you weren't "pissing" on other types of yoga while you were doing exactly that. Tried to let that go and then saw the comment from someone else about you being a bit snarky sometimes and perhaps that not the best attitude for someone practicing yoga and your response about the snarky not leaving. I've seen that before from other people practicing yoga who talk about tolerance and empathy and then display behavior that's anything but. I found your site because I was looking for information on Bikram yoga as I'm attending my first class tonight and have only done other "faux yogas" according to you. I'm disappointed to be leaving your blog with such a bad taste in my mouth. No doubt if published your response to my comment will be equally unapologtic and superior.
Me said…
I'm sorry you feel that way, Anonymous.

(See! Apologetic. So you're wrong there in your assumption!)

All forms of yoga are good (see, not superior)... But when someone (as Yoga Traditionalist did) comes into my personal space and shares their opinion and does so aggressively and condescendingly, I will respond back. And yes, that does come across as "snarky."

But so what?

Yogis can be all types... Quiet and calm. Serene and ethereal. Loud and obnoxious. Funny and self-deprecating.

Hopefully you had a great first class and find a practice that feeds your needs.

And may you learn to chill out and stop seeing yourself as "Superior" to all of us.

Popular Posts