I Will Just Live With Jeans, Bikram Clothes, Bags & Shoes For A While.

The Husband and I came to a decision today...

"We will not unpack all of our stuff until we have found a house to buy and permanently live in Toronto."

The packing team that was hired for our move came today. They had nothing but incredible compliments for us with regards to prepping for their arrival. They were on time, and the 59 boxes we had only took five hours to pack, document in triplicate and stack. They were efficient, as well as grateful for my efforts in preparing everything. (Meaning: Pulling stuff out of drawers, organizing it into sections. Marking clearly what needed to get packed and what is staying in the apartment.) The movers come tomorrow morning to pick everything up and haul it to Canada.

After the packers left this afternoon, I began cleaning like crazy again. The back deck was scrubbed, including the furniture. All carpets were vacuumed twice; once on a light setting, and once on a heavy duty setting. The one Oriental rug we have was flipped over, and the back was vacuumed, as well as the front side. I spent an hour cleaning a huge dried soy sauce stain that was hidden under the crisper drawer in the fridge. I pulled all the shelves out from the fridge an scrubbed them. Windows were cleaned, as well as window sills. Moldings on baseboards were vacuumed with a special attachment. Everything has been dusted, as well as sanitized.

The only things left to clean are the floors and the bathroom, which will both be done after the movers pick up things tomorrow.

And all this work from today is what made The Husband and I go, "Moving really is a bitch of a process!"

We decided that until we find a home to buy in Toronto, we will just live in the temporary housing location... Which is furnished. We are not moving into a rental and hauling our stuff out of storage. We only want to move once.

This isn't the first time I have moved internationally. I lived in West Germany twice as a child. I was very young... And I had siblings... So I can't imagine how my parents did the whole "moving internationally" with three to four children.

I should point out, though, that it was my parents' (Mum, specifically) ability to organize stuff to make a move go smoother that is helping me out right now. I moved so many times in my life with my parents that it really isn't traumatizing. It's just a little exhausting.

So, until we find our dream home, I will just have to make do with my three suitcases filled with jeans, Bikram yoga practice clothes, bags and shoes.

Comments

Vanessa said…
I've moved so many times, I think I have it down to a science. It never gets less exhausting though. Good luck!
The Mommy said…
Remind me to find you for help if I'm ever moving! ;) Oh, and I live in Whistler, BC. I saw that you had asked me back in Feb if I live in Vancouver....and I didn't reply (how rude of me) cause I didn't even see it!

Popular Posts