We're Really Just Social Drinkers.

I have five days till we leave for The Big Smoke. I decided that today would be the day we throw out all the alcohol in the apartment.

Thing is though... The Husband and I don't really drink alcohol. At least not at home. I mean, I will buy a bottle of red wine and drink it over the span of a week. But when we buy anything else, it never gets drunk. So now we have a nice small collection of things to throw out...



  • Margarita Mix (I used this to make cupcakes about a year ago.)
  • Cuervo Gold Tequila (Same as above.)
  • Cointreau (I got this SIX years ago to experiment with a signature cocktail for our wedding.)
  • Smirnoff Citrus Vodka (I can't recall why I bought this. I just know I bought it 4 years ago when we moved into our current apartment.)
  • Two Bottles of White Wine (One was a gift a year and a half ago, and remains unopened. The other was used to make fish a few months back. I don't drink white wine, as it is PURE sugar.)
  • Smirnoff ICE bottle (The Husband and I bought a six pack of this to drink on our back deck when we moved in here four years ago. Neither of us drank the last one.)
I guess I only drink socially. Doesn't make sense for me to have a fully-stocked bar at home in Canada. The alcohol would just sit for years and years and years.

Out to the trash it goes tonight! (Once I have emptied them down the drain first, of course.)

Comments

Duffy Pratt said…
I'm not sure I understand the comment about white wine being pure sugar. I thought the main difference between white and red wine was whether the skin was removed from the grapes or not. I've had sickly sweet reds and bone dry whites. So I'm a bit puzzled.

We are in the same situation in our house. I've got a few bottles of liquor lying around that we never touch unless we have company who want it (and they almost never do, except sometimes the Hennessy).
Lisa said…
Noooooooooooo! Don't throw out the tequila. There are sober children in Ethiopia.

Or, Kate and I will drink it!
Me said…
Out of the two, red wine is far, far better for you. It doesn't need added sulfites (preservatives), where white and rose wines do. So there is much more sugar in the lighter kinds.

Plus, red wine has way more antioxidents in it. So red wine has more health benefits than white wine does... And, in my opinion, it tastes much better.

The only white wine I drink is Ice wine... And only once or twice a year. And that is PURE sugar. So sweet!
Me said…
LOL! Lisa, it's Cuervo... A shitty tequila!

If I had a bottle of Patron, I would definitely save that for you guys.
recycler said…
You just threw away what, $25-$50 worth of booze? I realize it's not that much money or the end of the world, but if nothing else the wino's on the corner could have used it, if not your friends. Just seems wasteful.
Me said…
Wasteful? Oh the stuff was wasted already. It smelled awful. I wouldn't have given it to anyone to drink. I know alcohol doesn't go bad. But this stuff was BAAD.

Plus, I had to clean out the apartment tonight, as it is trash night. Didn't have time to wait around for people to come by an dpick it up.
recycler said…
Somebody out there could really have enjoyed that $10 worth of nasty Cuervo, guaranteed. Especially if you live in the that area of the S. End near Motley and Starbucks.

It must be nice to have enough that you can essentially throw cash-money (to someone else) down the drain.

I probably make similar money to what you and hubby make, and I'm certain I've wasted my share; but especially lately, I just try to remember that I'm luckier than some of my neighbors.

Good luck in the land of Labatt's Blue, eh?
Me said…
It wasn't "thrown away."

The alcohol - which has no "liquid" value - was thrown out, yes.

The bottles, however, were thrown out in their own, separate translucent recycling bag. And I can confirm that they were picked up by the bottle collectors who dig through the block's trash each Monday night.

So, in reality, the portion that does have value will be used.

That's "recycling." And not "throwing away" money.

I mean, unless it is a fantastic bottle of wine, I don't hold much value in alcohol in general.

And, to be honest, I have always been one to toss old alcohol. Even back in my early 20s, when I had no money. If I wasn't going to drink something, and I needed to off-load it... I would toss it out.

So I guess I was always "wasteful." Even when I was poor.

Popular Posts