Nine-to-Five Is For Suckers.

(Even though it does pay the bills.)

I have made a decision.

Well, almost. I have almost made a final decision.

Over the first few months in Toronto, I will be invesitigating pursuing a new career opportunity. One that, should I make the final executive decision around mid-June, will put me in a career that is much more "contractor-based." And much healthier than any other job I have had before in my life.

Will it pay a lot? Um... No. Not nearly close to what I was getting as a marketing executive. At least not in terms of cash. But what it does pay a lot in, I find, is not tangible. I would be contributing to others on the path to healthy lifestyles.

I have been considering making this career change for about two years now. But it seems like now is finally the right time to pursue it. And if I was staying in the U.S., I wouldn't hesitate to go for it. I just need to get up to Toronto, though, and get a feel for how that city before I finalize my decision.

No more "9-to-5" for me, thankyouverymuch.

Comments

SB said…
Good for you! You have to keep blogging through your training experience (if you go for it).
Me said…
LOL!

I will be blogging while at training BUT I most likely won't be giving details about what happens at training. They seem to like to keep BY teacher training a "black box."

But I will blog about how I feel each day, if I go. And I will blog about other stuff, non-Bikram stuff.
Heidi said…
that sounds incredible and perfect for you! Good for you!

and I totally agree...9-5 is for suckers ;)
I'm happy for you! I think this is a great decision for you. Some people are OBSESSED with search (the guy with the last name of Will Ferrell's dog in Anchorman comes to mind ;-) ), but I think we all know that search was never the essence of your being.

Also, a friend of mine from high school 9-5'd for a few years, then found yoga teaching. She teaches all over the Boston area now and is SO happy.

Good luck!!
Anonymous said…
I have been following and loving your blog for a few months...now I am truly jealous of you. Bikram tt is my dream! Maybe I'll be able to join the ranks eventually!
Lindy B said…
Totally do it - sounds like now is the right time and you'd be such an inspirational instructor! Do it! Do it!
Me said…
Thanks Kate, Anonymous and Lindy! It seems like when it comes to BYTT, timing is everything. Time seems to be right... So man signs are pointing me in this direction.
Britt said…
Very cool Missus. I love Moksha yoga, which is similar. Whenever I have done Bikram, I always feel that the instructors are mean. Once I went and this woman went into childs pose in the middle(couldn't do a pose I guess) and the instructor yelled at her saying she could only go into savasanna. ridic!!! she paid for the class and should be able to rest how she sees fit. At least thats what I think. and once I didn't fill out the form properly or something, so after the class, the instructor came hollering my name in the change room, and made me come out(I was about to start changing) to fill out the form. At that point I bumped into my old thesis supervisor and had to converse with him in a workout bra and little shorts. I did not return.


However, I think it's very cool you are making a career change.
Bex said…
YAY! and stop saying "if" you go -- this is the perfect time, seize it and go! but just promise you'll do a class or two each time you visit boston!

(ps- starting back up next week once exams are over...gotta keep my body guessing what is coming next! :)
Yay! Good for you! See ya 9-5!
Vanessa said…
Good for you! I'd love to see more people taker this approach (also advocated in the Anti 9-5 Guide) and watch the collective consciousness of happiness and balance raise.

Popular Posts