"$150k For Clothes... What Would You Buy?"

These were the words asked of me by Bail this afternoon.

I assumed that she was doing exactly what I was doing at that same moment... Reading the NY Times Style section piece about Sarah Palin's $150k wardrobe transformation to turn into "VP Running Mate and Hockey Mom" from "Alaska Governor and Hockey Mom."

The NY Times piece breaks down just as we've seen it in many other media this week...
  • $75,062 at Neiman Marcus (OMG! Think of all the InCircle points she could have received!)
  • $49,425 at Saks Fifth Avenue
  • Other purchases from Barney's New York, Macy's and Atelier New York
And this was just in the month of September... For clothing meant to be used for two months of campaigning. HOLY COW!

The NY Times Style section also has a slide show of Sarah Palin's campaign appearances in some of the clothing she purchased. And there's no denying it...



She looks awesome!!!!!!! I'm 31, and I would love to look as good as she does in these clothes. Stylish and chic.

Do I think she has the help of stylists? ABSOLUTELY!!!! But I don't really care about that.

What I do care about, though, is that there was clearly an excess in spending on these outfits for her. Why does she need $150k worth of clothing from high-end department stores? An occasional piece from them could be justified... But dropping that much cold-hard American cash on clothes for two months of campaigning?

I am sorry (and you may be surprised by this), but I find it ridiculous. And obscene. Specifically for someone who has positioned herself as being your average "hockey mom" from Alaska.

And I don't think the average hockey mom drops $150K on clothes for two years, let alone, two months.

But getting back to Bail's question... "What would you buy?"...

Dang... I would go for a season's worth of custom made stuff from various designers. I'd pick up some sweet designer watches and earrings... I'd buy the entire season's worth of Louboutins... A shit-load of Chanel... And a shit-load of McQueen.

And then I would go to Jean Therapy, and buy jeans for every person who reads my blog. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Here, here! I like the sound of that =)
Anonymous said…
Thanks Missus! I'd love a pair of jeans! I've been reading your blog ever since I came across it on Boston.com.
CelticBuffy said…
Let's nominate you for VP so that we can all get a new pair of jeans! :)
If I were Sara Palin and I had 150k I would buy a brain.
That Girl! said…
Haaahaaha I'd vote for you!!!!

Popular Posts