I'm A Flexitarian.

Over the past year and a half, I have found my body going through a change.

No, I'm not "pausing." Not that kind of a change... A change where certain foods make me sick. Foods, sadly, that I love very much.

For some reason, the following foods make me want to puke occasionally and/or give me acid reflux:
  • Orange Juice
  • Bananas
  • Coconuts (Tear! As these are my favorite things of all!)
  • Potatoes
  • Wheat Bread
  • Red Meat
  • Pork Chops
  • Prosciutto
  • Tomatoes (And pasta bolognese is one of my favorite dishes!)
  • Most dairy
  • Whole wheat pasta
  • Bacon (Why, God, why?)
So what does work for me? Well...
  • grapes
  • pineapples
  • blueberries
  • apples
  • chicken (sometimes)
  • fish
  • zucchini
  • squash
  • quinoa pasta
  • rice
  • soy sauce
  • soy milk
  • yogurt
  • Greek yogurt
So I have made efforts in the past year to eat less meat and less dairy. I've even dabbled with vegetarianism. Not because I have ethical reasons again eating meat... Only because I seem to get sick when I have these things. And it is hard for me to do!

So, rather than giving them up completely, I have them occasionally. Such as yesterday, when I had a slice of bacon and pepperoni cheese pizza. (Pure evil.)

And then, of course, I paid for it dearly in Birkam class later in the evening. My stomach, chest and throat made me feel like I wanted to puke my guts out. I couldn't do a few of the poses. It was sad, as they were some of the easier poses too.

My body just naturally wants me to be a Flexitarian... Someone who mostly eats as a vegetarian, but occasionally indulges in animal products.

Comments

Have you discussed your symptoms with a doctor? I'm wondering what you might have been advised... I've had similar acid reflux issues for the last year and really haven't found a satisfactory treatment or solution. It used to be triggered by coffee only but now it seems to be almost everything!
Me said…
Haven't chatted with a doctor. It definitely helps when I eliminate certain foods.
Anonymous said…
Not a commercial, and have nothing to gain from mentioning it, but ask your doctor about Nexium. It will change your life. I have the same issues and on Nexium they are close to nonexistent even when I eat the agitating foods.
Anonymous said…
Are you someone who has O-type blood? If you've ever read "Eat Right 4 Your Type", a lot of the foods you list are ones that Type O's (negative and positive) should stay away from. You might enjoy the book if you haven't read it - it talks about foods, exercises, vitamins and such that work best with each blood type for overall wellness.
Me said…
I'm actually Type A blood. Type O blood is for people who should eat more meat. Type As should follow a more vegetarian diet.
Anonymous said…
The book mentioned by anonymous sounds interesting,and I plan to look into it. Trying something more natural than drugs for awhile is a better alternative.
CB said…
You should check out the book The Flexitarian Diet by Registered Dietitian Dawn Jackson Blatner. It is a great book filled with recipes that you would love.

Popular Posts