The $21 Food Experiment.

The Husband and I went out for sushi this evening. I ordered a glass of wine and two spicy tuna rolls. The cost of that came to $23, not including tax or tip... Or the two pieces of gyoza I ate.

Tomorrow though, I become frugal... And will attempt to make $21 of food last me only five days.

Why $21? Well, this is the amount in food stamps an individual receives a week to use. I spend a good amount on groceries a month to feed The Husband and I... And on top of that, I eat out lunch most days and dinner at least once or twice a week. Also, whenever I hit a yoga class, I pick up a water for class, as well as a coconut water and a fruit water for after class. Then, I take a taxi home.

But this week, all of that is gone. At least for the next five days. From Monday through Friday, I will only eat the following:

:

That's oatmeal (breakfast), angel hair pasta and grape tomatoes (dinner), frozen burritos (lunch), carrots, green apples and yogurt.

The total cost of this food experiment:



I came in just under the $21 mark. So, starting tomorrow morning, I will only eat the above. Well, I will also have some black coffee from beans that I already had in storage. But everything else I consume has to be from the picture above or free.

Think I can do it????

Comments

Bayjb said…
I think you can do it but I think saturday you will be splurging on sushi or anything in sight, which I would do too. I can't wait to follow along and read how it's going :)
Vanessa said…
I think it's a fantastic experiment. I tried this once and actually did well. Let us know how it works out.
RealtorLefebvre said…
Found your post thanks to @SoxyLady who I suffered through last night's game with.

I don't know...can you get 5 dinners out of 1 box of pasta? This is going to be very challenging (for you) and fun (for me to watch).

I'd pig out tonight. Good luck!

@MikeLefebvre
Anonymous said…
I think you can do it for a couple of reasons

1) Don't you sometimes get free lunch at work?
2) I know many couples who are on a $50/week food budget and it's not that far off from what you're doing

But here's the thing I don't like (although I really do admire that you're doing this experiment):
Food stamps are supposed to be a supplement to help people out who need it financially. They aren't supposed to cover the entire cost of that person's food intake. It's like social security. Everyone talks about how we won't be able to retire b/c SS will be gone..and while it will make things more difficult..SS is only supposed to supplement your retirement income. You know, the one you SAVED for. And no, I don't want to hear about the current market crisis eating people's retirement savings. The market is cyclical people - didn't you live through 1987 and 2001?

Anyway - Good luck! Looking forward to following your progress.
Me said…
Great points, Soxy!!!

And yes, I believe the only people who should truly be upset about the market affecting their retirement savings are people who are looking to retire in the next five years.

Popular Posts