Excellent Places To Write In The South End/Back Bay.

So, I find myself committing to getting a lot of writing done in the month of November. So I am looking for places where said writing can get done. Here is the list of places that I have come up with...
  • Boston Public Library - If you have a library card, you can access the wireless network there. And in the old part of the library is an amazing room in which to write.
  • B. Good - Not only does it have kick ass burgers, it also has free wireless. Score!
  • Starbucks on Tremont - I have a registered Starbucks card. So I get two free hours of wireless at any Starbucks. The Tremont location can be tricky though... As there are often many people writing in there, and there really isn't any stable place to plug in your computer.
  • Flour Bakery - Yummy food. Yummy atmosphere. They don't have wireless, but you can connect to one of the open networks in the neighborhood if you're lucky.
  • Au Bon Pain, Copley Mall - Free wireless. Standard food that you are used to. If you get bored, you can always get up and go shopping.
Anyone have any other good spots?

Comments

Jeff Cutler said…
While I live on the South Shore, I love the energy of the city (combining Somerville, Boston and Cambridge into this designation) for sparking ideas and motivating my writing.

As I embark on NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), I'm sure I'll use all of your places and a bunch more to achieve the task of putting 50,000 words down on paper in the month of November.

Some of the other places I like to smash the keyboard are:

The Diesel Cafe and its sister cafe Bloc 11 - both in Somerville;

Snappy Sushi on Newbury Street. Cheap food and odd crowds.

The Lenox Hotel lobby. Comfy chairs and convenient bathroom.

Boston Beer Works by Fenway. Less energy now that our team is out, but still great for stimulating the mind.

Cappy's Pizza on Huntington. Just a college haunt, but the view of the street and everyone walking by gets the imagination going.

TeaLuxe on Newbury. Hot beverages on cold days are good.

And a variety of eclectic little shops and cafes up and down Mass Ave. between Comm. Ave and Porter Square.

I bring my own Wifi because I'm paranoid about hackers. But many places are easy spots to Wijack.

Thanks for the post and keep up the good work.

You can follow my progress at my sites or at nanowrimo.org.
thedancingj said…
I dunno if you have one nearby but Boloco has free wireless and great smoothies. I used to camp out at the one between Houston's and Bikram every Friday afternoon. :)
Anonymous said…
I would definitely recommend Uptown Espresso on Columbus between Mass Ave and Springfield. They have great espresso drinks and snacks, cheery staff, free wifi, and a four-season sun room.
Me said…
Good call on Boloco, J! There is on one Newbury Street.

And I have never gotten around trying Uptown Espresso yet, SpokenContract. Thanks for the tip!!
Pam said…
I'll second TeaLuxe and add Trident (also on Newbury). I've gotten big chunks of Nano-ing done there.

And I really like the idea of Boston Beer Works - drinking always helps my story flow along smoother, and they have killer sweet potato fries.

Popular Posts