$21 Food Challenge?

A few bloggers out there (like this one) are attempting to live on $21 in food for one week.

No.. They're not on any special diet... They are running an experiment. See, $21 is the amount in food stamps an individual can get each week. And the reality is, $21 does not go far today.

So starting Monday of next week, I am going to attempt to do it for just FIVE days. If I can get through the work week on only $21, that will be impressive. I spend a lot on food and coffee and cabs during the work week.

I don't think I will be able to do it... To be honest. But it's worth it to try it.

So, starting next Monday, it means:
  • No Starbucks Coffee
  • No lunches out
  • No cabs
  • No Zico or Owater after yoga
  • No magazines
I better start figuring out some legitimate recipes to carry me through the week.

Could you live on $21 for five days? Or even a full 7 days?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can do! I used to be poor and live in a dorm. I lived off a dollar menu!
Bayjb said…
Wow that is a real challenge. I'm not sure if I could do it. To be totally honest. I'm looking forward to following your test though!
Anonymous said…
To Red: Foodstamps can't be used to buy fast food. You can only buy food from the grocery store with them.
Anonymous said…
I have done grocery store shopping as well. Have you heard of Ramen? It would definitely not be a nutritious lifestyle, but it has been done. Plus many places (like one I used to work at) give out food with the food stamps based on how many people in your household.
Anonymous said…
If someone's on food stamps they should live on a bread crumb trail all the way to the unemployment line. You work full time so you should be happy it is only $21 a month. I don't want it to go up cause that means that my amount of food I can live on goes down because I have to pay for yet another program so people can make babies to get more food stamps and me and you are footing the bill? Drink your Starbucks next week and ENJOY it because you worked hard for it. Or, if you like, eat your $21 worth of food, I can already tell you you won't enjoy it and thats because you should feel guilty the whole time you eat it knowing that someone else had to buy it for you. But hey, maybe being lazy and not working doesn't make you as hungry as if you were actually out there contributing to society.

- A conservative friend!

Popular Posts