Fall 2008 Trends: I'm Liking What I See...

Over the past few weekends, I've managed to bury my head in dozens of August and Special issues* of magazines. I've even spent some time scouring the Internet looking for information on what's going to be big for Fall/Winter this year. In total, I've probably managed to devout about 20 hours of research to the Fall trends... And the September issues (which are typically the big, fat issues each year) haven't come out yet.

So, based on my research of cross-referencing all these sources, here are the big trends for Fall 2008 (so far)...

Black Lace
Lace, specifically black lace, is incredibly sexy. I love it. It's not always appropriate to wear a full lace outfit... But working the trend into pieces in a small way, with little touches, is very sweet.




Juicy Berries

Both Harper's and Net-a-Porter referred to this trend as "Berry." It refers to "fruit-hued" colors in clothing... Strawberry, Blackberry, Cherry, Blueberry, Raspberry and Cranberry, etc...

I personally think the best way to rock this look is with accessories. So bags and SHOES!






Florals

I'm not a big fan of florals. They scream "Laura Ashley" to me. And I am transported back to the late 1980s/early 1990s when they were very cool. So I doubt this trend is something I will catch on to. But apparently they are all the rage, as I have seen a few lines already displaying them. (Most notably, the MNG store in the Prudential Center. So far, I'm not loving the store.)

What I am partial to, though, is this cute floral top from J. Crew...



It's a great way to "go floral" without the overkill.


Wide-Leg Trousers & Jeans
This is left over from last season, and I couldn't be happier. Wide-legs just look polished...



I think this trend is a "classic." I will always love it.


Boho

Oh this is probably my most favorite trend of all for the Fall!

I love Boho! I am currently imagining one of the Boho floaty-type dresses with dark tights (black, grey or even blueberry!) underneath with clunky booties.




Country Chic

No... This doesn't refer to "country western." The trend isn't about Wranglers, cowboy hats and Justin's boots... It's more "English Country." Think fur stoles, houndstooth, tweeds, browns, olive greens and natural type colors.





It's so not my personal style... And I think it's a little too sophisticated for me (plus, I would never wear fur)... But it's a lovely look. Very rich.


Tuxedo Jackets
I've seen these mostly styled with skinny jeans underneath, but they do look quite chic still.

Reminds me of the early 90s when blazers and jeans were all the rage, thanks to 90210. My sophomore year in high school, I had a green plaid blazer that I LOVED and wore as often as possible. With the sleeves rolled up, of course, to give it that "casual" look. I now have a black velvet Tuxedo-type jacket that I picked up at the GAP four years ago...



And I am looking forward to busting it out again this season. (And yes, I know it needs to be cleaned and dusted!)


*Sources
Net-A-Porter (Online Magazine)
Elle (August 2008)

British Vogue (August 2008)

Allure (August 2008)

InStyle Makeover Issue (Fall 2008)

Harper's Bazaar (August 2008)

Tatler (August 2008)
Vogue (August 2008)
InStyle (August 2008)
Harper's Bazaar Runway Report (Special Issue)

Comments

readsalot said…
I am loving most of the trends you posted. Unfortunately for me, it won't be cool enough to wear them in Florida for a few months. Sigh.
Me said…
Sure you can!

You will just have to go with lighter-weight material.
I am so done with summer, unfortunately it never seems to end in DC.

I am digging the eggplant and taupes and the boots popping up everywhere! Your post just perked me up.

Popular Posts