They Like Fucking With Canadians.

Bit of a dilemma...

The Husband still has not received his permanent Greencard. His temporary Greencard expired last week. Although he doesn't have the permanent one, our immigration lawyers assure us that because "he is in the system, he is fine. He can come and go from the country as he needs to, until the permanent card comes."

But you know what? I don't trust it. I don't believe the lawyers, and I don't believe that U.S. immigration is going to allow him to "come and go" as he needs to.

Why?

Because they fucked us before. Five years ago. The Husband got stuck in Canada for weeks right after we moved to Boston. A city in which I knew no one. And I had just moved here a week before.

Additionally, we have seen them fuck other people we know coming from Canada. Therefore, I do not trust the whole lot.

This wouldn't be that big of an issue except that The Husband and I have a lot of traveling that we will be doing in the next few months. And some of the traveling is international. We have a friend's wedding that we would like to attend in October, and then we have The Husband's brother's* wedding in Melbourne over the New Year.

If The Husband doesn't have his permanent Greencard in hand in December for the Melbourne wedding, fine. I can deal with him getting sent back to Canada after the New Year. But before then? No. Absolutely not.

So The Husband and I just had a "discussion" about the trips we are taking this Fall. He started off the discussion by complaining about how much money we're spending on trips this Fall.

I pointed out that the NYC trip is really only costing us the hotel... As we are taking the Bolt Bus to NYC, and that's super cheap. Then I pointed out that we have to go home to Arizona for American Thanksgiving to visit my family. And those tickets are under $1000.

"The trips that are going to cost us the most are your brother's wedding and your friend's wedding," I told him.

And that's when I then reminded him that he didn't have his permanent Greencard, and that I would prefer we not risk going to the wedding in October if he does not have the Greencard in his hands.

"We have to go to Melbourne for the wedding," I said. "But the wedding in Toronto is the optional one. If we don't have your card in hand by mid-September, we can't go."

He knows I'm right. So help me God, I will be highly pissed if he travels internationally and does not have his Greencard in hand. They fucked him once, and I guarantee you they will do it again.

They like fucking with Canadians who pay a shit-load in U.S. taxes each year. Why? I don't know. But they do.

*Oh yeah. Forgot to mention. The brother-in-law has now decided that he and his fiance are not going to be coming back from Australia after the wedding. They originally weren't going to move to Australia (she is from there) for a few more years. they were going to stay in Toronto for at least a couple more. But now they have decided that when they go in December, they won't be coming back. So not only have I never lived in the same city as my brother-in-law, I now won't ever live near him. I won't even live in the same hemisphere as him! We're gonna be real close, can you tell?

Comments

Roxanne said…
Hey, my husband is Canadian too!

When he first moved here, we had trouble with the Social Security office (long story) and we were basically told it could take weeks or months for everything to work out and him to have the ability to work legally in the U.S. One quick call to Senator Kerry's office and a conversation with someone on his constituent services staff and voila two days later everything somehow magically worked out. Couldn't hurt to give one of the Senators or even the Representatives' offices a call and see if they can speed up the process a bit. Good luck!

Popular Posts