The Hidden Weight.

I am feeling so much better today that I actually got up to go meet The Trainer for our regularly scheduled session at 5:30am.

Before we began our workout, I explained to him that I was recovering from an illness. I figured he would be a little kind today.

Boy was I eff-ing wrong.

After our quick warm-up, he brought out a tall step and two kettle bell weights. He explained that I was to do 12 squats with the kettle bells. Then I was to do 12 step-ups in each leg, with the kettle bells in my hands. After that, I was to do 12 reverse lunges on each leg using the step, and without the weights.

I went to go pick up the kettle bells, which read "12" on the sides. I nearly fell over. I wobbled a little from side to side.

"These are heavy!" I thought to myself. "I must have really gotten weak in the past few days!"

I didn't say anything to The Trainer. I just did my squats. Then came time for the step-ups...

I got my foot up on the step and went to lift my body up using the stepped leg. It took a lot of wobbling for me to keep my balance. It felt like I was lifting a lot more than 24 pounds in total.

"You only have to do 10 of these on each leg," The Trainer informed me.

After I got done with my first set of everything, The Trainer went and grabbed the 15-pound free weights.

"You're going to use these for your step-ups now," he said. "And you'll use the kettle bells for your squats."

"But those are 15s," I said. "And the others are 12s. These are heavier."

He laughed.

He then informed me that the kettle bells were metric. So even though it read "12" on them, they were actually about 26 pounds each.

"You had me stepping up with 52 pounds?" I asked.

He laughed.

"I told you things were going to get harder," he said. "But the kettle bells were overkill. Last time you did these, you didn't use weights. So we'll start you out on the 15s."

I never gave any thought to how much each kettle bell weighs. I never use them on my own. Sneaky hidden metric weight!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've found that no matter what excuse I gave my trainers they'd never "take it easy."

One time they were surprisingly easy on me when I really wanted to be pushed and I was very confused. I guess they were having a bad day.

Popular Posts