Workout Medley: He Has Big Plans.

It's Monday. That means (like Friday) I get up at 5am to meet my trainer at 5:30am. I slug myself out of bed... I throw on my gym clothes and brush my teeth... Then I dash out the door.

By the time I get to the gym, I am a little warmed up. Warmed up, but still very tired. (After all, I don't go to bed till 11pm on Sunday nights because Mad Men is on until then.) I can barely balance on my two feet as the trainer has me begin my warm-up... Which consists of walking back and forth while lifting my legs or pulling on them.

This morning though, the trainer decided to have me follow-up my warm-up with what he likes to call a "lunge-medley." And he says it with such enthusiasm that it momentarily makes me think, "This is going to be fun and powerful!" But it is not. No, it is not.

The "lunge-medley" involves holding 15 pound weights and starts with 10 walking lunges across the gym floor, and 10 walking lunges back. Then it is 10 reverse lunges on each leg. Followed by 10 stationary quick lunges in place, on each leg. It's very painful in that it burns like hell. Especially the quick lunges in place. You pulse up and down quickly.

"OUCH! It burns like an STD!" I tell him. (Now, I've never had an STD, but I've heard some of them can make it burn when you pee.)

After the lunges, I was a little beat. And we had only just begun. He then made me use a huge ball and roll it in and out with my legs, while lying on my back. Then I had to hold the ball in place with my feet while I lifted my ass in the air, up and down. Then I had to hold my legs out while lifting my butt off the floor, up and down.

It was a lot of thigh and ass work today. And I thought that was it for the body beating. But I was wrong.

After all this ass and thigh work came something I was not prepared for...

Trainer walks me towards one of the vertical machine areas and stops in front of my least favorite machine. He taps his hand on one of the bars, motioning for me to "Hop on up!" and get to it.

My response to him was, "FUUUUUCK!"

It was the (assisted) pull-up machine.

Since I started seeing The Trainer a month ago, he has progressed me on this machine very quickly. I started off at one of the lowest levels on it. Now I have moved up another four levels. And with each level you move up, you are lifting more of your own body weight, and allowing the machine to do less work.

He laughed at my response and informed me, again, "I will have you doing pull-ups in no time. And you will do them off this machine, using just that bar."

He points to another vertical machine that has a bar stretching across the top of it.

He has such big plans for me. And I was just doing the whole training thing just to ensure I got some exercise in each week no matter what.

Comments

Popular Posts