Bikram Yoga Challenge: The NYC Sessions.

I made it from my hotel in midtown to the 3:30pm class in the Flatiron district this afternoon.

The studio looked different than both BYB studios, but it felt the same. The look was not as clean. Old. Dingy. But that's like a lot of places in NYC.

I grabbed a spot right in the front of the empty studio, which has space for about 50 people. The room began to fill up, and was maxed out by five minutes till start time. Right away, I got the sense that some of these people weren't very serious about their practice...

About 15 minutes into class, after a few postures, there was a bit of an uproar...

"Can you please turn this heater off?" screeched out one woman standing in the second row on the right side.

A few people nodded in agreement that it was getting too hot for them. I begged to differ, however.

The room was NOT any hotter than I have seen it get in Boston. In fact, it felt quite nice. Toasty. And the teacher had been opening a window when people started to whine.

And I have to confess, I find it extremely disrespectful to question an instructor. (I know, some of you may be wondering. "Since when do you find it wrong to question authority?")

These teachers have gone through extensive training. They know what they are doing. We are the students. So our only job is to show up and do yoga. We're not supposed to think. We're supposed to clear our minds and move.

Heck, I occasionally take classes in Boston with other instructors... And they NEVER question whoever is teaching. Because they know that they are not there to "back seat" instruct. So if they don't do it, then students shouldn't be doing it.

If it's too hot, sit down.

I will be going again, to the same studio, tomorrow morning. I hope the students have better attitudes. But the instructor was great.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is really funny. I wouldn't imagine complaining about the heat much less asking for a heater to be turned off. It would be amusing to see someone do this at BYB.
Me said…
If someone in Boston had the audacity to ask, I think they would get made fun of... In a good sense of humor kind of way... By the teacher. And the rest of us would probably shun them.

We are New Englanders after all.

Popular Posts