A Master Pose.

So, there's a newer instructor at the Bikram studio I practice at. I've only taken her class a few times over the past few months... And at first I wasn't sure ow I felt about her.

She is an inspiring instructor, I must admit. You can tell just by looking at her that she has been practicing various forms of yoga for many years. And for a beginner in yoga, like me (because even though I have practiced for three years, I am definitely still a beginner), it is important to know that your instructor takes their practice seriously.

However, when I first started taking classes with her, I wasn't as much of a fan. She's a bit of a hard-ass. And she keeps the classroom EXTREMELY hot.

Now, I know that Bikram is "hot" yoga. But I think the max temperature most instructors get to is 110 degrees. I think this instructor gets it up to close to 120. And the first few times, it was frying my brain.

I felt nauseated. Dizzy. Not good.

But I began to realize that you have to have classes like this from time to time. It re-sets the challenging pace of the class. And that is the benefit of practicing with the various instructors at the Bikram studio. If you only practice with the same instructor over and over again, you are missing out on an opportunity to challenge your body and your mind...

Because practicing in that kind of heat does "eff" with your mind. And you have to work even harder to focus.

So, I have decided that this new teacher really kicks ass. All the teachers at the Bikram studio kick ass. But this new one has hit that status for me. And I hope she continues to follow the teaching style she has begun with. Because we need variation.

I also have to appreciate her as a teacher because of a compliment she gave me yesterday in class.

It was a ROUGH class. I went after getting sick in the morning and pretty much being dehydrated for the rest of the day. So I was all sorts of crazy in the class. But when it came time to do one of the harder poses, triangle, I was motivated enough execute it beautifully.

I did so well, the new instructor called out, "The Missus... That's a master-level form there!"

It was nice to be complimented during such a rough class, where I had been sitting down only moments before.

Comments

Popular Posts