"Such Beautiful Form."

That's what my trainer said to me this morning when I was working out with her.

Despite waking up 20 minutes before I was supposed to meet her, and then hauling ass to the gym, I was able to keep my form while doing various presses and pulls with my arms.

First, she had me try push-ups. But because I have a cyst in my left wrist, I can't put pressure on the wrist. So she 86-d that and had me do presses out, in push-up form, with the Free-Motion machine. Then I did pull-downs. Then we switched to the Kinesis machines and did similar exercises.

"Your form is so good," she said.

She says this to me often enough that I have point out something... My form is good because of my yoga practice. No lie, people.

I have tried talking people into taking a Bikram class with me a couple of times. And I always get the same response... "I need to get into better shape before I try it."

Huh?

That's "crack" talk, people.

Bikram is perfectly fine for anybody to try at any time in their life... Unless they're pregnant and haven't ever practiced Bikram before.

I've been practicing for nearly three years. I am till a beginner. It's a gradual progression with Bikram. There are poses that are a serious challenge for me still (hello, "standing-head-to-knee"), and there are some poses that are way easier for me than other people (triangle pose).

But one thing that is great about Bikram is that with each pose, you get into it, and then you hold it. Sometime for as long as a minute. Other times, you only hold it for ten seconds. Depends on the pose. But holding the pose allows your body to open up and fall into form.

You're not quickly moving from one pose to another, like in other forms of yoga. (As one instructor pointed out to me the other day.)

So, my yoga practice has definitely helped me prepare to work out with a trainer at the gym. Sucking in the tummy. Locking the legs. Holding shoulders back. Tucking your butt in. These are all things I learned in yoga first.

They're why I have beautiful form.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It sounds like a lot of fun. I wish that classes here didn't cost so much. It's definitely on my list of things to do once my finances are in better order.

Glad it's been so beneficial for you.
Me said…
Not sure where in Chicago you live... But Bikram City Chicago has an AWESOME deal for first time triers.

http://www.bikramcitychicago.com/

You get 30 days of yog for $29... That's a phenomenal deal.
Anonymous said…
That is great. I'm going to check it out once I get back into the city. Thanks :)
Anonymous said…
Bikram is great for beginners unless you lack flexibility ... and then you pull stuff.

Popular Posts