People From The Suburbs Are Afraid Of Catching "Gay."

(My sincerest apologies to those of you who saw this posted on Universal Hub. I took this original post down after re-reading it later last night. I felt it was a bit to too bitchy. But I realize now that this is what blogging is about for me... "Getting things off my chest."

I didn't realize Adam at Universal Hub had posted this entry to the site.

And, I don't hate suburbanites. I just don't like hearing people hate on my hood. And yes, I do see the irony in this post. So comment-away people! Namaste.)

Sorry. I know I shouldn't generalize.

The Husband and I have friends who live in the suburbs... But what I am talking about are people who live in suburbs WAAAAY outside the city.

So, I'm sure you're wondering, why do I think people from the suburbs can be stupid? Let me take you back a few days...

It was Thursday evening this week. I hopped out of a cab across the street from my building after an early evening Bikram class. I am sweaty. Tired. Cold. (Yes, cold. You get cold very easily after practicing in extreme heat.) I just want to get across the street and into my apartment. But something is blocking my path.

Parked in front of my building is a large limousine bus. The driver is standing in front of it. He looks kind. That's when I notice a gaggle of khaki shorts, BoSox t-shirt-wearing men with twin sets and mom-jeans wearing women walking towards the limo bus.They look annoyed. They look out of place. They sound obnoxious.

"Paul!" one of them screams to the driver, in a heavy Masshole accent."What the fuck? You take us to a fucking gay bah-restaurahnt?"

They all laugh, and others scream the same sentiment to the driver. He looks ashamed. I feel bad for him. These are obviously out of touch jackasses.

Here's a tip for all you suburbanites who don't read up on or frequent the city that often...

The South End is a gay neighborhood that is"straight-friendly."Actually, it's now a very diverse neighborhood. And we try not to go around attacking other people's lifestyles too often. All are pretty much welcome anywhere. Straights, gays, all races and even little babies are all welcome pretty much any place at any time. Hell, we even tolerate some people's noisy pets at restaurants!

The restaurant they had just walked out of was Tremont 647. They took offense to the huge rainbow flag hanging outside of the establishment.

Guess they were afraid of catching the gayness. I wonder if they were at all afraid of catching the "yuppy-ness" populated in this neighborhood too?

Fucking "burbanites!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
I take one issue with your comment. You called the South End a "gay neighborhood that is straight friendly." This sentiment is ridiculous. Firstly it suggests that homosexuals are typically unfriendly to stratight people. Secondly, sexuality does not and should not define a neighborhood, especially the South End. The south end would be best described as a diverse neighborhood with overpriced restaurants, poor public transportation and no parking...that is "gay friendly"
Me said…
Sounds like you have more than "one" issue with my comment. But I agree with you... Sexuality should not define a nighborhood.

However...

I would just like to point out that all my neighbors in my building are gay. A large majority of the neighbors on my block are gay. The people who happen to be most active in the community are the gay people.

Seems to me like they have a majority in the hood.

And the public transportation in the South End is much better than most neighborhoods in Boston. The 43 bus comes pretty regularly.

And as for parking... Well, I don't own a car. The location of the neighborhood in proportion to the things I need and do in my life is sufficient enough that I don't have to have a car.

So by not having a car and having great public transportation and easy access to where all the action I like happens means I can afford the "overpriced restaurants."

Some people have to pay car insurance, gas and leases on autos. Some people spend a lot less and eat out at great places.

Doesn't sound bad to me.

Popular Posts