Cliches For Women That Are True.

Flipping through the latest issue of Women's Health this weekend (which is a great magazine, by the way) I saw a piece on cliches that are "trite and true." And here are a few of my favorites...

Another women's success is not a measure of your failure. Women are extremely competitive with each other. (If you had no idea of this, then you should Netflix "Mean Girls" pronto!) But we need to remember that no one gets what they want in life complaining about what other's "took" from them. You have to go out there and get it yourself.

Show me the money. I know I've said this before... But I am SHOCKED by how SHOCKED people have been by my aggressive nature when it comes to getting a fair deal for my hard work. I've flat out responded to ridiculous "raises" by employers at previous jobs with "That's it?" I know, completely uncouth. But when you're told a 4% raise is "standard" for the movement into a lead position, you tend to think "You're eff-ing kidding?" Especially when the 4% only equals about $1500... It's BS. So bottom line, NEVER be afraid to be open about what you think a fair salary is for your new role. If you don't speak up and ask (more couthly than I did - but I did get 10% instead of 4%), you won't get it.

Love many, trust few, but always paddle your own canoe. There are very few people I wouldn't do anything for; and I think that is because I strive to be as helpful as possible to anyone. But I never expect others to help me out. I ask, but I always prepare for them to turn me down. I'm a big believer in just getting things done myself. I know I should relax and be more reliant on others, but it's just not in my nature.

Comments

Masha said…
Ah thats interesting. I used to always worry about other's success. But then I realized that every one is different and every one had their own path in life to follow.
Me said…
Hear! Hear! Well said Masha!

Popular Posts