Little Black Dress.

I found something to add to my future "home office"... Decorative plates for the wall!



A site I came across a few months ago called "Rosanna Inc" had these adorable "little black dress" plates. But they were out of stock at the time. I love them and think they would make a great addition to the office space.

And this leads me to an opportunity to write about me for a second... (Because I certainly don't do that enough on this blog!)

Someone asked me last month who my favorite artist was. I didn't quite know how to answer the question though. So I paused for a second.

I never took an art history class of any kind in university. Until I moved to NYC, the only art exhibit I can recall visiting was the Monet at Giverny collection that came to Phoenix in 1999. So my exposure to one's conventional idea of art had been limited.

However, most of my friends in Brooklyn were artists. Painters. And to me, their art was fun. And exciting. And precious. So their pieces became my favorites.

Then, I started working in luxury home goods at the Evil Empire. And I quickly found that I loved and appreciated the workmanship and detail that went into things you find in people's homes... Including china, crystal, sterling silver and furniture.

Then, while working at the Evil Empire, I was exposed heavily to the art of bridal fashion. And I learned about Vera Wang, Angel Sanchez, Rivini, Reem Acra and Romona Keveza.

Then this lead to a craving for Jimmy Choo, Manolo, Valentino, Marc Jacobs, Chloe (from the Phoebe Philo era) and Chanel (by Karl Lagerfeld). And these are currently my favorite artists.

But I didn't want to confess this to the person who asked me the question... Because I didn't want them to think of me as the "bubble head girl" from the South End.

Though, next time someone asks me that question, I will happily tell them who my favorite artists are at the time... And without hesitation. I mean, just because I was too important and interesting to take "art history" in university (I spent my time watching film noir and drafting articles in class) doesn't make me any less cultured.

(Though, after seeing the Hopper exhibit at the MFA, I do love "From Williamsburg Bridge." But that's because I lived near it for three years, and because it inspired many film noir pieces.)

Comments

Popular Posts