Seattle - Why The Eff Are You Smiling At Me?????

Man... Living in sin... I mean "New England"... For four years has turned me cold. And even more cynical. (How is that last one even possible?)

I got to Seattle last night after a long flight across the country. When we landed, local time was 9pm. The sun was still up and was still very bright. This bothered me. It was off riding from the airport into the city with so much light out at that time of night.

If I was a child living in this city, I would refuse to go to sleep for my parents on the principle that the sun was still out. I've always associated "bed time" with "night time." And if it ain't dark out, I ain't going to sleep.

The hotel (the Marriott of the Waterfront) is very nice. The room and room service was good. The gym kinda sucked. But people are very nice. Which brings me to my title...

I was walking through the lobby just a while ago. A father and his daughter were walking towards me. I didn't make eye contact. But for some reason, the father decides to wish me well.

"Good morning!" he says.

At first I didn't think he was talking to me. Then I realized he was looking right at me.

"Oh! Hello! I mean, good morning!" I said back, cheerfully.

It was odd. If we had made eye contact, I would understand the greeting. But I guess in this town, people just walk around greeting each other without it.

Then, I walked across the way to Starbucks. I planted my stuff down at the plethora of tables available. (This so wouldn't happen in the South End. I would have to wait around like a hawk, or get there ridiculously early, to score a table.) I got in line to order my drink. People smiled. They smiled to the Starbucks employees. They smiled to each other.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

What kind of society is this?

I am kidding of course about these last two statements. It's just odd. People in "Mass" really are "mass-holes" to each other.

Maybe I should move to Seattle? Although, people in Toronto are friendly. I mean, how could they not be? They're Canadian.

Comments

Popular Posts