Office Jealousy? Try Life Jealousy.

I don't know if any of you have had the opportunity to read this piece in the Boston Globe about one working mom's attempt to temporarily step back into the work place and experiencing "office jealousy"... But if you haven't let me just warn you:

Bitch has an axe to grind against those who happen to have no children.

At first, I thought maybe I was just being super critical of her. I've gotten a lot of pressure myself to begin a family, as have other women I know about my age.

"You're married. When are you guys gonna start having kids?" And this is from people our own age.

I just want to say, "Look, up until seven months ago I too got caught up in the baby race. Now, I kinda don't want to have kids out of spite. I like my freedom. Just because you got suckered in to the hype doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer too." But I know children are a joy. So I would never say that to them. I just know I am mentally not "there" yet with kids.

This writer who wrote the piece though, she is a bitch. And I passed the link to the article around to others asking what they thought. All agreed with me... The writer sounded like she had it out for the younger woman who was hired to take the job she was working in and had no kids.

At one point, the she writes, "Listen, you mini-skirted malignancy, I was charging executive lunches on the company when you were still dabbing Clearasil on your zits... ...Meanwhile, I'm raising children, the most important work of all."

Now, I do think if you get knocked up (whether or not it's by choice) and have a kid or two, it is critical that you do your best to raise them to be non-spoiled, non-pampered, kind human beings. But by no means would I call raising a child "the most important work of all."

Hell no.

If I do ever decide to pursue children, I for one hope to God that I have things that are equally important as raising them. My life mission doesn't revolve around my future family. It's shared with them. It doesn't end and begin with them.

I just think this kind of mentality, for women more than men, is dangerous. It's setting a woman's "place" to be in the home with the children. Don't get me wrong, it is an important thing to do. But it's not just for one parent to do. And women should strive for divine paths that help human kind as a whole.

Raising your kid is a start. But it shouldn't end there. And if this woman wants to start by raising her kids right, how about exposing them to different kids of people at an early age? Then maybe they wouldn't ask guests in their home inappropriate questions...

"...there was the time when a client came to the house in the evening, when everyone was home. With his slim build, long hair, and earring, he looked gender-neutral, which fascinated my two little boys, who were around 5 and 6 years old at the time. They circled him, posse-like, eventually asking, 'Are you a boy or a girl?'"

Just saying, as I insinuated in an earlier post, that to be fulfilled in life, you do not have to have children. Raising a child is not the most important thing you can do in your life.

The most important thing, your top priority, should be finding healing happiness and light in your life every day.

Fuck (pardon my language) every thing else.

Comments

Popular Posts