Bikram Yoga Challenge: 44/60.

"Stand up on your toes... Maximum... Like a ballerina."

I never took dance lessons. Well, there were about two weeks of Jazz Dance lessons when I was nine and on holiday at my grandparents house in Phoenix. But they shortly ended when I moved back to West Germany with Dad and older brother... While Mum and my younger siblings stayed to take care of my sick grandfather.

But other than those two weeks, I never took dance lessons growing up. So I don't know what it's like to train to be a ballerina, and dance "en pointe." Having been a ballerina might come in handy in my Bikram practice. Specifically in the second part of Awkward pose.

This is the one area of the practice I have not ever progressed in... First part, third part - I kick ass at those. Second part? It's shit. I can come up way high on my tippy toes. But then comes the part where you have to sit down... And I just can not sit.

At least, not with my toes up high and my back straight against the "imaginary wall."

Today's practice was great. The temperature, dialogue, focus... It was all great. The only thing that wasn't great was the second part of Awkward pose.

Perhaps I should extend my challenge to 100 days, in hopes of making additional progress in Awkward's second part?

If I don't extend it... There's only 14 classes left. (Tomorrow, I do another back-to-back.)

Comments

Missus, your classes of late are paralleling mine with eerie similarity! The second part of awkward is my nemesis. I completely agree---it's one pose I have seen very, very little progress in throughout my practice. And I try!!

I say go for the 100. Why not? Gives you an excuse to really get up on those toes...
Unknown said…
Hi Missus! I've been following your blog for a few months and I'm thrilled that you'll be going to teacher training in the fall! I'm a teacher in the DC area and I have such a hard time with 2nd part Awkward. It has greatly improved with these tips: focus on one thing the whole time (my left index fingernail usually works well), spread your toes out, bring your heels up half way until you feel stable then press all the way up on your toes, contract your arm and abdominal muscles, exhale as you slowly sit down, push your heels forward and your knees come up, to keep your spine straight reengage your arms (it is like you're pushing your fingertips against the mirror) and belly (you really have to tighten your abs in the 2nd part), and keep breathing. The last thing is: know that 2nd part Awkward is hard. Try it the right way with 100% of your effort and you're getting the benefits. Have fun at training! Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to share what I know. -Laura
Me said…
I am thinking I ma just continue on to 100 days, Hannah. Eek!

Laura, thanks so much for the tips!!! And I am glad to know it's not just me who has a problem with this part... That it is tough for teachers too.

Popular Posts