Washing Bikram Yoga Clothes.

"I smell so bad," I think to myself.

Really, I want to say it out loud to myself. I am half-way through my Bikram class. I am laying on my stomach, on my mat. And everything smells like mildewed clothes. My towel... My shorts... My top...

I am excellent when it comes to caring for my Bikram practice clothes and towels. They get washed immediately after each class. I throw in baking soda and strong detergent. I was with hot water.

The clothes come out of the dryer smelling great. But once I have been sweating in them for an hour, the smell comes back.

Eww!

This is because I have only two pairs of Bikram practice clothes and towels. So each set gets worn every other day, if not every day - when I do a double. (I can't wear dirty clothes to class. I have to change into a clean set when I do doubles.)

And since I am doing a 60-day challenge, they are holding up very well. They are in excellent shape, except for the smell that appears after I have been percolating in class for a while. So today, after class, I decided to add a step to my clothes washing regime...



A soak and rinse in water with tea tree oil.

It seems to have freshened things up. Prior to washing the clothes with the regular detergent and baking soda, the smell was mostly gone. And they came out of the dryer smelling very clean.

Fingers crossed that this works, please. I don't want to buy new Bikram clothes when the sets I have are perfectly fine... Mostly.

If I had access to my full wardrobe, I would have six sets of practice clothes to go through. I can NOT wait till we move next month and everything is taken out of storage. The next three weeks can't go fast enough for me.

Comments

amandadawn said…
you can also try adding a cup of distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle. That really helps with the odor, too. (And they won't come out smelling like vinegar).
That Girl! said…
Please let us know if this step works. I only have one set of yoga clothing because I do it so infrequently but I've started to notice the same issue as well.
Mei said…
I soak mine in vinegar for a few hours before handwashing it with detergent. Nope, I don't smell like a rotten salad *sniff sniff
Anonymous said…
My smelliest clothes: shakti
Medium odor: Lulu lemon
BEST for non-bikram-odor: Yogabela
try these when you get a chance! The fabric is a bit thicker, but nice and stretchy, keeps its shape, and...does not smell.
Me said…
Ohh! Good call, Amanda. I will pick up some vinegar today!
Unknown said…
I have moved from a combination of tea tree oil and vinegar to WIN, a "sports detergent." It is phosphate- free and supposedly used by the folks manning the washers in the Olympic village. I have been amazed by how it works. Moisture-wicking fabrics are great, but they seem to hold onto sweaty smells forever. I do air dry, rather than tossing things in the dryer, that seems to help too. Good luck!
Bex said…
*WHEN* I get back to Bikram (it is killing me I have paid for the past two months and haven't gone *ONCE*) I'll have to try all these recommendations, because yes, my clothes get all stanky too! :)
bikramyogachick said…
I find adding "oxoclean" (trader joes) helps to keep the smell away pretty good. Plus my studio doesn't have carpet, the floor is some wierd pastically supposedly non slip stuff. I think that helps too! The bikram carpet in some studios can get pretty darn rank and at that point, you feel like the smell is soaking into your pores. :)
Anonymous said…
I know this post is so old but I have the same exact problem with some of my clothes. Was wondering if the tea tree oil worked or if you found anything that did. Thanks!
Me said…
Yep! It worked for me. In fact, I still wear the same yoga clothes from 2009, when I did this post.

They have lasted that long, and remain smell free.

Popular Posts