Healthy Dish For The Week: Guacamole.

I don't understand. How the hell is it possible that I have never posted the recipe for kick-ass guacamole on this blog?

Well, as one reader pointed out today, I have not. Shame on me!

This reader asked for my recipe (through Twitter) because they had tried to make guacamole using a mix recently, and it tasted badly. My reaction to that was...

"They make a mix for guacamole???? EWW!!!!"

How does that even work? Wait, I don't want to know! But I feel awful if people out there think guacamole is so exotic to make that you can short-cut by doing it with a mix.

So here's the scoop people: Guacamole is RIDICULOUSLY easy to make. And it will take you five minutes to make it. Here is my recipe for two servings worth of guacamole.

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1 lemon wedge (or lime wedge, your preference)
  • 1 plum tomato (plum tomatoes are smaller and oval shaped, sometimes called "Roma Tomatoes"), diced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped red onion, minced
  • 5 dashes of Tobasco sauce (you could use a whole jalapeno, though, if you are making a batch for more than two people)
  • Dash of salt to taste
  • Dash of pepper to taste
You dump the avocado in a big bowl and take either a masher or a fork to get it down to a creamy-but very chunky consistency. Next, you mix in all the rest of the ingredients. And you have your guacamole.



I like to eat mine with tortilla chips that I toast in the oven (because nothing is better with guacamole than warmed tortilla chips) at 375 degree for 3 to 5 minutes.

All of this will take you less than 10 minutes to bring together. No fancy equipment is required. And if you get yourself some organic blue corn tortilla chips (the cholesterol-free kind), you have a pretty healthy snack on your hands here. Avocados are a good fat, and you shouldn't hesitate to eat them.

Now, if only tequila was good for you...

Comments

If you like cilantro that is a good addition as well. I too can't do the packet! Love the idea of toasting the chips, never thought about it.

Looks yummy!
Me said…
Good call, Yummy! Not everyone likes cilantro, but definitely add it in if you like it. Also, add in some corn or diced red bellpeppers too. Makes it even more CRUNCHY!
Frogger said…
For those who have never tried this recipe, let me be very clear: THE MISSUS MAKES THE BEST GUACAMOLE.

She actually got sick of guacamole once because I made her make this too many times.
Frogger said…
And when was it declared that tequila isn't good for you? I haven't received that memo...
Duffy Pratt said…
If you want it a bit richer and creamier, you could add about a tablespoon of olive oil.

Popular Posts