I Am Off Sushi Now.

Sushi maki rolls. That is all I eat when I go to sushi places. More specifically, all I will eat are vegetarian avocado rolls or spicy tuna rolls. Anything else does not pass my lips.

The truth is, I do not like sushi. Not really. I find it sketchy. (Just like eating shellfish. SKETCHY! DIRTY! UNCLEAN!)

Growing up in Arizona, a land-locked state, eating sushi never sounded appealing.

"If sushi is raw fish," I would think, "why would you eat it while living in Arizona knowing it is not fresh?"

The I moved to NYC. And I gave it a whirl. I found spicy tuna, and stuck with that. Then I moved to Boston. And for the first two years, I never ate sushi. Boston, I knew, was a seafood town. But not every sushi place is good. And once you have bad sushi, it will put you off the stuff for a long time.

But we found Douzo. And it was fab. We ate there a few times a week. It is the BEST sushi in Boston. All other sushi places suck ass.

For the past six weeks that we have been in Toronto, The Husband has been begging me to go out for sushi for dinner.

"I'm not really in the mood for sushi," I would say. "How do we know it will be good? I know Toronto is on a huge body of water... But can they get all the same fresh fish from the lake to make the sushi?"

He didn't have an answer, but really wanted sushi. So last night, I caved. We went down the street in our trendy neighborhood to one of the sushi places, Sushi Inn. I had searched online for the "best sushi in Toronto Yorkville," and this place had good reviews.

Well, people fucking lied.

The place was cute enough. I ordered my regular two rolls of Spicy Tuna. The Husband had his three rolls: California, Spicy Tuna, Spider.

We both agreed after the first few bites, "It will be hard to top Douzo. This place blows."

I didn't finish my rolls. I left a few rolls on the plate. At one point, I was so skeeved by the texture of the tuna that I pushed it out of the roll with my chopstick. And I smothered the tempura flakes, spicy mayo and avocado left in the roll with wasabi.

The Husband finished off all his rolls on principle. He refuses to waste money. But he concluded, "I think I will be off sushi for a while."

Things just didn't taste as fresh as they did in NYC and Boston. And it really makes me wonder how fresh they are able to get fish here in Toronto. I bought some cod at Whole Foods last week that didn't smell fresh... But I figured since it was Whole Foods that it would be.

Note: No eating fish in Toronto. Not unless it is GUARANTEED fresh. And no sushi. Ever.

Comments

The Mommy said…
Dude, that really does suck. I've got some sushi connoisseurs out in the Toronto area and I'll see if they've got any suggestions for a better restaurant just on the off chance that you guys decide to attempt it again.

Oh, and Whistler BC (Sushi Village specifically) has the best sushi around. I compare every sushi experience with theirs.
Me said…
I would totally eat sushi out in Whistler... It is closer to the ocean than Toronto.

Ocean = Safe.

Popular Posts