Job Hunting Tips: A Follow-Up.

A few days ago I listed out some tips for people looking for employment. Now, I have to add to that original list. So here are my additions...
  1. When you email your resume off to a company, DO NOT mass email just your resume to a bunch of addresses at the same time. I have seen a few people just plop their resumes in an email, with no cover letter, and send it to many different companies at the same time... WITH OUT BCC-ing all the addresses.
  2. Along with the above, I feel compelled to stress greatly how important it is for you to write a cover letter IN THE EMAIL when you send the resume over. Don't worry about attaching the cover letter, it's fine to send the cover letter (a brief one) in the email.
  3. Pay attention to the ad with the job you are applying for... If the position does not say it is telecommuting, don't send your resume to me from the far reaching corners of Maine, North Carolina, Texas, Atlanta or Denver. I am going to automatically toss your resume aside, as I am assuming (because you didn't mention it in your cover letter) that you are not going to be moving to the Boston area.
  4. Again with paying attention to the ad... If it says a bachelors degree is required, it means it is required. If you are working on your bachelors, that's one thing. But if you are not, and we've said it's required, than you are not qualified for the position.
  5. Be inquisitive... If we've listed in the job ad our company's name... Then you should go to our website, surf around, and mention it in your cover letter. Tell us you have seen our website, and know a little about what it is we do. Also, if you are really a good candidate, you will be able snoop around on our website and find my name and email. And that means you can send your resume directly to my email address. And you can personalize the letter and everything. Be snoopy! I like seeing candidates spend 15 minutes researching before they send off their resume to me.
That's it for now. I imagine I will have more to add soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If you're getting so many bad responses, you might want to consider re-writing the ad. It sounds like you haven't made your expectations clear. If the ad is too long, people will skim it.

Also, degree requirement, in a dotcom world? The tech industry lead by people who wouldn't meet that requirement (Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Steve Jobs).
Me said…
The ad is actually well-written. People are just ignoring the details ad submitting without either caring or reading the ad.

And a degree is a must. I don't care if they could be the next Bill Gates or Steve jobs. Chances are they aren't. Therefore, if you weren't driven-enough to get a bachelors degree, then you don't qualify.

I mean, college wasn't that hard. If the rest of the people in the field have done it, you can do it too.
Anonymous said…
It's not a matter of college being hard. Many people find it too boring, and choose to do other productive things with their time.

You could try a different approach in the ad, ask one or two specific questions (regarding your industry, a specific challenge it faces). That way you can immediately skip the ones that don't answer. If it's as bad as you're making it out to be, it can't hurt to try something new. More than my 2 cents.
Me said…
I still disagree... I would never hire someone into one of these positions who did not have a four year degree.

I don't disagree that people get bored and move onto other things in college... But to me, that's a sign of not being committed.

It's one thing to not go to college at all (it's not for everyone). But to start it and then stop it? And never go back in some capacity (you can get degrees online, for God's sake)... that just won't do.

In this day and age, I need to know an employee went to university and got a degree. There are so many people out there who DID go to school, and hate to be bunt, but I will would always favor a candidate with a degree over one who did not have it... At least for this particular line of work.

I think the most horrible thing with the responses I've gotten is that people are just throwing their resume into an email without a cover letter. In the ad, we specifically state "send a cover letter."

Also, people will flat out call the company by the wrong name... If they're not smart enough to pay attention to the name, then they aren't worth out time.

Also, we state in the ad that the position is in Boston. If people send me a resume and cover letter from another state or country, and they don't indicate that they plan on moving to Boston, then clearly they aren't a right fit.

Bottom line: Whenever you advertise a position online, you are always going to get a flood of resumes that aren't relevant.

I was just shocked by how badly people didn't read the ad. It indicates laziness.

I mean, when I write, "This is a junior level position", I mean that. I mean that someone who has 20 years of writing experience shouldn't apply, at least not without expecting a "junior-level salary."

And when I write, "Must have two years or more of SEO experience and be familiar with search engine algorithms," I mean exactly that. You must know about these things. And you must understand them.
Anonymous said…
why is your company letting your hire people - if you supposedly got spoken to from HR regarding profanity (referencing your Pinkberry blog above)
Me said…
LOL! It wasn't this company. Previous company... The one that accidentally leaked that it was firing people, before it happened.

Popular Posts