Bitchy Brides With No Clue.

Oh dear God.

Earlier this year, I had a gal email me asking what she should do for an upcoming wedding she was going to. She wasn't a bridesmaid... She was only attending the wedding. The bride had dictated that everyone dress in patriotic red or blue (not navy blue, mind you) for her 4th of July wedding. The bride would be the "white" part of the patriotic color scheme.

I don't know how the wedding went. But I think brides who have the audacity to pull this kind of shit out of their fat asses is going too far.

And trust me, I would know... As I have worked with some real piece of bitchtastic-ness brides in my time.

Apparently, though, this is a growing trend among brides... Dictating what their guests can wear to the wedding.

Of course, I find it perfectly acceptable for brides and grooms to set the tone of their wedding by saying the dress is "cocktail" (meaning short or "tea-length" dresses for women and suits for men), "black tie" or "formal" (meaning gowns for the women and tuxes for the men) or "white tie" (which means tuxes with white bow ties for the men - super fancy - and ball gowns for the women.)

But telling them what colors to wear or not wear? That's bullshit. If you're have a very small wedding where everyone knows each other, that's one thing. But more than 10 people? This is not acceptable. And my advice to anyone who gets invited to a wedding where a bride has requested this kind of crap: DON'T GO.

Simply send a gift (I recommend steak knives - as a way "severing" the friendship) and wish them "all the best on what will likely be a disappointing day, as the bride sounds like a controlling bi-atch."

Comments

Anonymous said…
At the aforementioned nuptials, the bat-shit crazy bride had the audacity to turn people away from the reception who were not appropriately clad. People who had flown in from other states and had proffered pricey registry items but dared to wear black. I kid not. The egregious albeit hysterical end of this tale came when we received a photo flip book of the event a couple of weeks ago. The pictures were ALL black and whites.

I was initially concerned that the bride would discover your blog and my comments herein, but this is just too ridiculous not to share.
Anonymous said…
Ha this makes me feel like the most chill (and sane) bride-to-be! That's just redic!
Unknown said…
Normally I would agree with you. HOWEVER. Black is a HUGE faux-pas at a wedding, I don't care how "modern" it is. You would't wear white to someone's funeral, you wouldn't wear a bikini to church and (hopefully!) you wouldn't wear sweats to a job interview. There are some things that just aren't acceptable.
While I won't be turning guests away at my wedding who choose to disrespect me this way, I wont forget it.
SB_Australia said…
I went to a wedding last yer where everyone wore pink & instead of a gift donated to the McGrath Foundation (breast cancer) as the bride's mother had succumbed to breast cancer 4 months prior to the wedding.

It really was beautiful however the pink dress code was a SUGGESTION & the very small number of people who didn't wear something pink were not turned away! Some people just wore a pink scarf or earrings but it was lovely to see everyone showing their support & donating generously to a worthy cause!

Making it mandatory is bizarre though!
Me said…
What a lovely way to honor the bride's mother!!

Popular Posts