The Wedding That (Red, White &) Blue.

Brides can be cruel.

They have so much power. It is seen as "their" day, when they get married. Everything is centered around them. Not that it all shouldn't be... But sometimes you get brides who have a really quirky (and endearing) sense of humor. A sense of humor that requires those in attendance of the wedding suffer at the mercy of said humor.

One reader wrote me this evening with her example:

I'm hoping that you can help me out with a fashion quandary. I'm going to an evening (but not super formal) wedding over the July 4th weekend. The invitation stipulated the following: In honor of our country and to provide for fantastic photo ops (really?!?!), please wear only red and blue to the wedding. Our glowing bride will be supplying the white, of course.

The reader, Miss K, needs some ideas for a clutch bag and shoes. She will be wearing (what sounds like) a fabulous Azure one-shoulder Diane vonFurstenberg shift dress. (Seriously, does the dress not sound incredible?!?) And because Miss K is (in her words) "freakishly tall," we need to navigate the waters of shoe options carefully. So here we go:

Shoes
I say, "Let's start with shoes!" They're going to be the toughest to decide upon for someone so tall. Now, since it's a Summer wedding, obviously sandals are the "go-to" choice. But, there are so many chic choices right now with sandals. "Strappy" sandals are always in fashion. But even more in demand are "gladiator-esque" sandals.

J. Crew Tierney Kitten Heels
Sexy, yes. The heel is small, just under three inches. And the design on the top is eye-catching. Silver and periwinkle straps (which would accent the blue of the dress) are entangled to provide a nice substantial. yet feminine, look.



Stuart Weitzman Gladiator Sandals
Hear me out on this one... Or, at least try to envision this... One-shoulder dress combined with a chunky gladiator flat sandal. The jewelry choices could consist of long drop earrings or a demanding silver cuff. Very Roman. Very sexy. Plus, these are flats.



Jimmy Choo Atlas Patent Sandals
An extravagance, I know... But I couldn't not include them! Yes, getting the buckles all cinched would be a bit of a "bitch." But they're Choos... They're worth it.



Clutch
Clutches are standard fare for evenings out. Especially when it comes to weddings. I didn't want to veer to crazy with the clutch, as I did with the shoes, so here are my simple recommendations for clutch adornment...

Calypso R2 Clutch w/ Sting

A snowy snakeskin.. Simple in design, luxurious in texture. Definitely a "keeper" for many, many years to come.


Hobo International
I have two clutch bags by Hobo International myself. They are always surprising. Hidden pockets, soft leathers... And prices that don't make you cringe.

Savoy



Symphony



As for her date, a husband who is (like mine) Canadian, I feel the obvious selection for his wedding attire should be navy BLUE dress suit and light BLUE dress shirt. That way he is not in violation of the bride's request. I mean, unless he is just dying to wear nothing but Canada RED...

Hope this helps provide you with some inspiration, Miss K!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks!! Those are great suggestions...I never think about J.Crew for shoes but they have some cute options. I actually saw those Stuart Weitzman shoes, but wasn't sure I could pull off the gladiator look.

When I was emailing about the dress code with other guests, I learned that the bride prefers "brilliant blue and regal red...not navy, burgundy or pink". I think the Mr. is still going to stick with his banker's uniform, as you suggested. His regal red suit is at the cleaners. :-)
Me said…
"Brilliant blue & Regal Red?"

This bride may be Cruella Deville in the flesh. That's just plain WRONG to do to your guests!

Popular Posts