Bag, Borrow Or Steal: Part Deux.

I first wrote about the Bag, Borrow Or Steal service a little over a year ago. In it, I dissected why I do not find it to be worth the money. Now, it's a year later, and I find myself wanting to re-dissect the service for interested consumers.

Why?

Well, because of the Sex and the City movie.

In the film, Jennifer Hudson's character rents bags from the service. In particular, she rents a series of Louis Vuitton bags. She's Louise from St. Louis who loves Louis Vuitton.

However, having lived in NYC myself on a pittance back in my early 20s, I doubt that someone like Louise would really subscribe to such a service. It's too expensive.

For example, in the film, Louise lives with three other girls in an apartment because she is young and poor. Yet, she rents a Louis Vuitton Patchwork Denim bag from the service. This bag, if you're a Bag, Borrow or Steal member, will cost you $595 a month. If you're not a member of the service, it's $615 a month.

Now, I know gals love their fashion... And someone would rather not eat than carry a non-designer bag... But $600 a month? There's no way Louise would be able to afford the bag rental. No way.

Not only is it an expensive service... I find it to be a waste of money.

See, I think of bags, shoes and clothes as investment pieces. Not all of my bags, shoes and clothes are investment-worthy... (My Havianas flip flops, my J. Crew tank tops and my skull-and-bone gym bag for example...) But there are pieces I am happy I shelled out the dough to get...
Combined, these pieces cost me nearly $2000 to get. But I wear them every day. (Well, I just got the bag. But I will be using it every day.) To me, they were worth it because of how much I will use them. Additionally, if I am able to care for them, I will be able to keep them a very long time. They are wonderful investment pieces.

In fact, I wear the flats at least three times a week lately... And the jacket gets worn at least once a week, if not twice. I don't need LOTS of different things in my closet. I just need things I love enough to wear over and over again.

So I think if you love a bag enough, you should just buy it. I'm not one to wear a million different things. I don't need variety. If you do need variety, Bag Borrow and Steal would probably be ideal for you. But if you use the service and find yourself renting the same bags over and over again, it makes more sense to just buy them.

Why spent thousands of dollars renting each year when you can just buy it?

Comments

I absolutely agree. I have browsed through the Bag, Borrow or Steal website more than once and the only reason why I see anyone would want to use it is
a. you have a special occasion coming and you'd love to carry a specific bag but you can't afford to buy it, or other reason.
b. you want to test-drive a bag before investing in it. But I definitely wouldn't rent one for a month.
Anonymous said…
agreed as well. after perusing the site, I realized I would rather just buy ONE bag that I LOVE rather than RENT a bunch of bags...

Plus I think I would be PETRIFIED that I would do something to the rented bag...
Vanessa said…
I agree. Well cared for investment pieces are worth the money and in the long term you actually come out ahead.
Anonymous said…
I've actually become a fan of the service b/c I get bored with pieces quickly and it keeps me from wearing out the few investment pieces that I have. However, it is certainly not for someone on a tight budget. In fact, it's a total ripoff...but I'm a sucker.
Me said…
Thanks for the insight, Kimberley!

That is helpful.

Popular Posts