Why Do You Not Work, Caffeine?

Does anyone else have this problem?

I often find myself tired during the day at work. Even if I've slept 9 full hours the night before. And when I find myself in the middle of a "sleepy episode," I get up and go outside in search of a caffeine boost. However, it nearly never works...

The reason why is simple, "Caffeine has no effect on me."

Seriously, people. I could drink a Venti cup from Starbucks filled with shots of espresso to the brim... And 15 minutes later (if I'm tired) I could easily be in bed, falling fast asleep.

Most people have the pleasure of getting a nice jolt of energy when they drink their morning cup, or have a Coke... I get nothing. And to be honest, I don't have to have any at all. I would be fine without coffee or Coke. So why do I drink so much of it?

Well, I do like the taste. But also, I like the hope that it may someday have an effect on me. I would like to be one of those people who gets up in the morning and can't function without their morning coffee. But the truth is, I could get up in the morning and function just as well without caffeine.

I went out for a 2pm coffee run a little while ago. I wanted to get some fresh air into my system, as well as a tall soy misto made with the espresso roast. But after making my way through half the cup, I still find myself wanting to crawl under my desk and take a nap.

In fact, I asked Mr. Sports (my boss) if I could do just that. He said, "Go ahead."

Then I asked, "Will I get into trouble?"

He responded with, "Why don't you try it and find out?"

I've decided to just sit it out at my desk for now.

Comments

Nichole M said…
This often happened to me in college and I was like you... wtf? Then, in med school pharmacology class, while I was similarly battling sleep, the professor said caffeine doesn't always work because it may not be *those* receptors that are making us sleepy. There are *other* sleepy receptors? Great. Now we need a drug for those.

Popular Posts