"Toosh" & "Doo-Shay."

I have developed a new habit lately thanks to someone at work who I won't name... I have to segue for a moment first though... See, no matter where I work, I tend to pick up the habits of those that I work around.

When I worked at The Evil Empire, I picked up the habit of using the word "sexy" to describe new ideas and products to brides. "This vodka and caviar server? You must register for it! It's an incredibly sexy gift. Your friends will be fighting over who gets to buy it for you!"

When I worked at my first search engine marketing (SEM) firm, there was a co-worker of mine who would jokingly do the "karate chop" with his hands when talking. After seeing him do it all the time, I picked it up too. (And still use it today.)

When I worked at my second SEM firm, I learned and mastered the art of talking loudly and quickly to confuse clients about search initiatives. It also helped to throw in a lot of acronyms while talking to them, as it would help in confusing them.

Which brings me to my current job... I have now picked up the habit of mispronouncing words on purpose. The two biggest ones are "touche" and "douche."

A few months back, someone began pronouncing "touche" as "toosh." And I picked it up, as I found it quite funny. Now, I even use it IMs, writing out "toosh" instead of "touche." It will usually solicit a giggle.

Today though, I decided to evolve another similar word all on my own. I like to use the word "douche" a lot. For example, "That folk singer outside of borders? She can't sing for shit. What a douche! She needs to just pack up and go home!"

... Only now, instead of saying "douche" (or "doosh") I like to pronounce it "doo-shay." As in, "You see that guy over there hitting on that chick who's clearly not interested? What a doo-shay!"

I think doing this kind of thing livens up my day. Though, I doubt the Grammar Vandal would approve.

Comments

Dan said…
But how do you pronounce cajones?
Me said…
"Kuh-hone-ays."

Though I could give it some thought and come up with something better!

Popular Posts