Gloucester Teen Pregnancy Epidemic.

Continuing along with today's main topic, teen pregnancy, I wanted to make sure all of you had read the article from the Globe today about that high school in Gloucester where some teen girls made a pact to get pregnant.

"More students are coming in and asking about pregnancy testing," the city's public health director, Jack Vondras, told the Globe last month. "What's odd is that some of them are disappointed because they're not getting pregnant."

In addition to being disappointed about not getting pregnant, it is worth noting that none of the 17 girls pregnant at this school of 1200 is over the age of 16. the girls apparently wanted to get pregnant to raise their babies together.

I say, "what a bunch of dumb-assed bitches." If it's an unintentional pregnancy, that's one thing. But intentionally getting pregnant when you're not even halfway through high school?

Obviously, these are girls who have no long-term ambitions. And that's kind of sad... Why weren't they raised to have ambitions outside of just being a mom? I certainly don't wish these girls any ill-will... But, come on! This is a problem if they think it's a great achievement having a family before they have even finished high school.

Makes me wonder what these girls weren't taught about self-respect, taking care of themselves, and life in general.

Comments

Vanessa said…
I saw this article too and was floored. I'm with you, the logical explanation for what causes this type of thinking is that they were not taught self respect or about long term goal making. Very sad!
LegallyBoston said…
Wow. That's just so messed up... To raise them together?! I don't know how many people are still friends with the same people they were when they were 16... I know I'm not.

Sigh. I hate how some kids seem to think raising a kid is simple. I don't have a kid and even I know it's not simple!
Me said…
Same here Lindsay! I don't have one. I thought I did... But now I am glad I didn't go through with it... I do know how hard it is... And I know that I am still not ready.
Anonymous said…
I'm sick of people blaming the media. First of all the girl in knocked up was not a teen, and Jamie Lynn Spears is hardly a role model. There's also shows coming out like Baby Borrowers that are trying to prevent teen pregnancies through mixing education with entertainment. The media is clearly not the problem.
Me said…
I agree that the media isn't to blame. The character in Juno have up her baby for adoption. What I think part of the problem is is that we don't teach children that they should be striving to be different than those they see in the celebrity world. They think they will be somebody if they follow exactly how celebrities do things.

Again, I go back to my original statement of why these girls weren't taught that there is more to life than just being a mom. If you have kids, it's a big piece... But why were they not taught that there are plenty of other things to do first?

Popular Posts