Vespas In Boston.

While in Rome a few weeks ago, Frogger and I kept getting wowed by how many people drive scooters there. We knew, of course, how popular scooters were in Europe... But we would turn a corner in the city and suddenly find ourselves walking down a street where 50 or so scooters would be parked side-by-side.

They are the premiere way to get around in Rome. If I was more confident, I would have rented one myself and scooted around the city. But I am deathly afraid of motorcycles and scooters. So it was out of the question. But what one question I did find myself asking is, "How long till you start seeing more people riding around on Vespas in Boston?"



Of course, I know a few people who already ride around on Vespas, scooters and motorcycles. But only these few. And I rarely see scooters on the streets in Boston. Bicycles, yes. Scooters, no. Till today...

As I waited in line this morning at the D-team Starbucks across the street (where two bi-atches decided to order 10 espresso drinks for their office right at peak traffic time!), I saw a gentleman drive up in a Vespa on to the sidewalk.

He was wearing a windbreaker and helmet. But he also had on nice dress pants. And I soon discovered that he was wearing a full dress suit under his riding gear. He had on a suit jacket, tie, dress shirt... Even nice dress shoes... All under his riding gear. He locked up his helmet, windbreaker and scooter to a bike rack stand with his heavy padlock. And he walked down the street, briefcase in hand, looking as if he had just stepped out of a car. Not a hair was out of place from the helmet, and not a wrinkle was on his suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a car at home. A car that is too expensive and too inconvenient to drive right now. So he probably picked himself up a scooter for his daily commute. Or at least, this is how I imagine the scenario. And maybe that's how we will begin to see more and more scooters on the streets of Boston...

Can't get rid of your SUV because the dealer won't let you trade it in and no one will buy it? Park it at home, and get a Vespa in the meantime.

Can't afford to spend so much on filling up your compact car? Park it at home and get a Vespa.

Live in the city, don't own a car, but want to start exploring places the T doesn't go easily? Get a Vespa.

Let's all get Vespas!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd use it if I weren't so afraid. Then again, the $4.39 for regular gas makes me scream. If someone bought me one, I'd use it.
CelticBuffy said…
I would love a Vespa for when we move. Unfortunately I rarely drive anywhere alone and the three kids would have no where to sit! Wait, that's a good thing!
Anonymous said…
I own a Piaggio scooter. It's no joy when it rains which is awfully unpredictable. I have to watch the weather reports like a hawk to figure out if I'll be able to commute both ways by scooter.
Vanessa said…
I have had a Vespa love affair since living in Seattle. They are very popular there but I was always too afraid to ride in the rain. I'm with you, let's all get Vespas!

Popular Posts