"We Have To Go To Church Tomorrow."

Um... Like hell we do! If my mum uttered those words to me as a teenager, I would throw the biggest fit.

Why? What do I have against going to church?

Well, the way I see it... Church is a social thing. I believe that religion is a very deeply personal thing, and I personally don't believe going to church is the only way to worship and talk to God. I have always seen church as a social thing. And by the time I was a teenager, I didn't care for the people at the Catholic church I went to in Arizona.

They were preachy, self-righteous assholes. And my mum felt it was her duty to make us go... (Bless her for trying to make sure we weren't complete heathers... I mean "heathens.") But by the time I was 14, I refused to go anymore. I didn't feel the need to go hangout for a few hours with assholes. And I felt that it was really my decision to make.

So no more church for me.

So you can imagine my gut reaction when Frogger said to me during dinner a little while ago, "Tomorrow we go to church."

I had a momentary flashback of arguing with my mum about church. The angst in me started to grow, and I was about to turn green and start punching through walls...

Then I realized what she was referring to. Tomorrow we have a five hour tour of the Vatican and St. Peter's.



And it will be lovely and amazing. I have been to both before... But not on a semi-private tour. So this will be cool, as I will get to see parts of both that I did not get to see last time.

So tomorrow, I will be a good girl and go to church. However, if I do see the devil, I will step on his faux Prada shoes and slap him.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I had those kind of parents. And while I'm thankful for the experience now, I would never think of going back. Besides weddings and funerals, I'm not a church person in the least.

One endorsement though: it's a great gig for someone looking to rake in piles and piles of tax-free cash.

Popular Posts