Sarah Jessica Parker's Nina Ricci Dress.

Shame on Olivier Theyskens, and shame on Mario Grauso.

Why?

Well, perhaps you haven't heard about the small controversy regarding the gorgeous dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker to the NYC premiere of Sex and the City: The Movie.



It seems that SJP was under the impression that the Nina Ricci dress (Olivier Theyskens is the designer for the line and Mario Grauso is the president of the fashion division which owns Nina Ricci) had never been worn before.

But her impression was wrong...



Yep... But not only was the dress worn recently by Lauren Davis Santo Domingo to the Met fashion ball in early May (with the photo appearing on Style.com), but it was was also photographed on Lindsay Lohan for a magazine shoot.



I mean, can you imagine? I would be pretty pissed if I was SJP. Wearing something Lindsay Lohan was photographed wearing? Ugh.

The reason SJP was under the impression that she was the first to wear the dress was due to Theyskens and Grauso. That flat out LIED to her when she inquired about who may have worn the dress before to an event.

According to the NY Times, which had a great piece on the controversy, "Parker says she remarked to Theyskens during the fitting that she was surprised the dress hadn’t been worn before. He assured her it hadn’t."

Grauso also had assured her that the dress hadn't been worn to an event and photographed.

I agree with many that SJP was used by the fashion house. Why they couldn't come up with a unique and fabulous dress for her to walk down the carpet wearing, I don't know. But SATC is a big deal. Apparently the house of Nina Ricci does not know that. That point is proven even further by this piece, also from the NY Times article...

"He (Grauso) then asked—somewhat incredulously, I thought—'Does everybody look at Style.com?' Santo Domingo’s picture (with Theyskens) appears on the site for the Met."

Is he kidding? He's the president of a fashion division, and he doesn't know how many people live and breathe Style.com? People everywhere read Style.com. Women and men in Boston... Stay-at-home moms in Iowa... Stylish trendsetters in Europe... Young Japanese women in Tokyo... Gorgeous plastic women who hang around on the beaches of Brazil all day... Cowgirls in Texas... Everyone!

What a dumbass. He should know how big Style.com is!

SJP, for her part in the article, said that the whole controversy didn't change the fact that she still loved the dress. But she does feel that what was done was "unethical," especially given that she had asked both the designer and the president about the dress.

She's taking the polished and graceful high road. And that makes a fan like her even more.

As for me... I may not have events I can go to that would allow me to wear the Nina Ricci line (sold at Barney's, by the way). Boston's a more casual and conservative-dress town. (Unless you're a student.) But I do move to Toronto next year. And that is a town that does dress up and is more stylish. And I can afford to buy Nina Ricci clothing. But I won't. Who wants to wear clothing produced by assholes?

Comments

Anonymous said…
GET OVER IT!!!
DOES ANYONE GIVE A **** WHETHER SOMEONE ELSE WORE THE DRESS BEFORE????
AS LONG AS YOU LOOK GOOD IN IT HOW DOES IT MATTER???
THERE ARE PEOPLE DYING IN EARTHQUAKES AND WARS AND THESE PEOPLE ARE GETTING THEIR 300$ KNICKERS IN A TWIST ABOUT A DRESS????
HELLO!!!!!!!
Me said…
Ohh.... Where does one buy $300 knickers?????

My underwear is 5 for $20 at Gap Body.

Listen, Anonymous dumbass... This isn't a blog where we discuss the more serious issues going on the world. There are far better writers (and I can point you in the direction of them, if you like) who do that on their web pages.

On this blog, I write about the stuff I can comment about in life.And yes, as silly and insignificant as those things may be, I still like to write about them... And it appears that others seem to enjoy reading them.

So take your self righteous attitude some place else. If you were a truly brave person, you would at least think of a name to leave your comment under, rather than hiding behind "anonymous."

I mean, when I go around leaving flaming comments on blogs, I at least have the decency to use my handle or my real name.

So go find your balls please.

XOXO, The Missus
Tina said…
Hahahaha that's hilarious, um, Missus. Well said.
Anonymous said…
Id be pretty mad if I was her simply because it was worn on LOHAN! I mean...ewww...

But at least SJP looked stunning in it. Out of the 3 women who wore it I think SJP pulls it off the best. It looks like something Carrie Bradshaw would wear!! As for the people who told her it was never worn before...how lame are they? Seriously...did they think they could get away with it? I mean...its freakin Sex and the City MOVIE we are talking about...they could at least have done something special...the dress was going to be seen by millions! But oh well...it was still pretty anyway.

Cheers!
Me said…
Yeah... She does still look gorgeous in it.
Anonymous said…
SJP definitely looked best. Hands down.
Anonymous said…
I agree with you Missus. "Anonymous" is a little off. I care about what's going on in the world & am very up on my current events, but this article isn't about that. I think Sarah voiced her diapproval of the designers actions well. I think it's sad that they dooped her like that because she's most likely not ever going to do business with them again. SJP is a high end celebrity, this was HER movie, it was her work, her baby, & just like every girl wants things to go perfectly on a wedding or birthday why doesn't she have that same right? If she wanted the dress cut down and fitted for her DOG then she should be able to do so.
Anonymous said…
Olivier Theyskens is a dishonest, treacherous person. He told CR Fashion Book back in January, "I will not be giving up my infidelities."

Popular Posts