Rome, Day Four: The Acanto Day Spa!

Frogger and I had our spa afternoon today. It was lovely.

We went to the Acanto Day Spa, located in the Piazza Rondanini. Though it was a little tough to find, we eventually got there and were ready for our massages.



The spa was beautiful on the inside. We were take down to the changing rooms and given lockers and robes for all our things. We were offered tea and a steam bath to start. But we chose to rest in the lounge area, chatting before our treatments.

Frogger chose to go with the Ayuervedic massage. I went with the Shirodhara - the chakra massage.

Now, there are two things you should know visitig a spa in Rome. First, you have to be very comfortable with pretty much being naked in front of your masseuse. It's not like in America, where they leave the room and you hop under a sheet, and then they come back in. Nope. In Rome (possibly all of Europe), they don't leave the room. And for a good part of the massage, you are pretty much lying without a sheet. And you're lying face up. And because it's a massage, you're topless.

Second thing to know, which is more about the particular massage I got, it's not really a massage. Even though it was kinda billed that way on the spa menu, there was only about a total of 20 minutes (out of 90) that dealt with actual massaging. The other 70 minutes, I just had warmed oil pouring over my third eye. Don't get me wrong... It was wonderful. And I actually almost fell asleep. While the oil is poured over the third eye, the masseuse/Shaman-type person used Reiki to clear my other chakras. This was very similar to the chakra-balancing I had last year.

This was a wonderful spa. If you come to Rome, I recommed stopping in for a treatment. They offer a variety of things on their menu. And the service was very good. Again, you need to ne comfortable-enough with your body to not be bothered by nudity in front of random strangers.

Comments

Oh, I have been there. One of my favorite stories from abroad was the massage I got at the Gellert Baths in Budapest. Yep, you're either topless or titally nude (typo, but I'm keeping it). Helga (not sure if that's her name, but I like it) gave me a massage with quite a bit of heavy duty boob action and would say, "Downstairs," whenever she wanted me to scoot down the table. And because it was Budapest, it cost me about $10.

And then I rejoined my friends and learned, to my alarm, that Helga had given NONE of them a boob massage.

Yikes.
Me said…
LOL!.

yep, they massage your belly and "around" the boobs in Rome.

And, I forgot to mention this in my post... But my masseuse was a guy. A guy who looked like Tim Robbins's character in "High Fidelity."

Popular Posts