"Why Are You Single?"

This is one of the stupidest questions I've heard in my lifetime.* And the fact that it gets asked way more often of women than men is just fucked up.

FUCKED UP.


So, imagine my delight when I was just reading over at Dear Sugar a collection of the top "comebacks" for when single women get asked this question... Which are:
  • Because your man is already taken.
  • I already have a dog at home.
  • Just lucky, I guess.
  • Because my girlfriend wouldn't like it.
  • I have BOB. (Battery Operated Boyfriend)

I would also add these two to the list:
  • Because so far in life, I haven't met anyone who deserves my love more than myself.
  • Because I am smart.'
*I do recognize that I am married. And I do love my husband. But nothing angers me more than people thinking everyone needs to be married (or married and have kids) in order to have fulfilling life. I am grateful I have a significant other who recognizes that it is important for us to be friends and genuinely like each other, rather than just merely following a stupid bullshit pattern that was invented more for survival purposes than companionship purposes. So, "thank you, Human, for being Human."

Comments

Frogger said…
I get that question all the time, and it always makes me laugh. My answer is usually, "Because I haven't found a man who can handle me."
Vanessa said…
I hate this question but love your answer and Frogger's. I think my new answer is because I enjoy my own company.

Popular Posts